cap under your helmet?

dirkdiggler69
dirkdiggler69 Posts: 118
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
i don't think i'm alone when i say i don't think there is a cycling helmet available yet that doesn't make you look fairly bad.
however i've noticed a trend in magazines etc where people are wearing a small peak cap under their helmet.
i quite like the look of this and was wondering if they are the simple cotton type ones you can buy off chain reaction etc for about £12?

i've never quite understood the mountain bike peak, road bike no peak thing either :shock:

Comments

• Cotton caps have been worn by road cyclists and many pros, under their helmets, for 20 or so years particularly during early season and inclement weather. They are thin enough not to infer with the pads. Alternatively, you can buy the Giro Ionos that comes with an optional skull cap liner which I find to be very effective in cooler temperatures given the amount of ventilation that this helmet affords.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Helmets look pretty normal now ? Don't see how a cap underneath would improve the look much ?

Yes caps are handy for rainy days - they can help keep the rain off your face.
  • I'm friends with neither Gok Wan nor Dorothy so whether I look pretty or not to others when on the bike is of no consequence to me - I'm more interested in performance than prettiness.

Regarding cotton caps, Prendas have a range of retro caps available for £7.50 and PBK has caps available from ~£7 + there's 10% discount codes going around at the moment.

I have a range of headgear to wear under my crash hat throughout the year including some running caps and headbands for autumn and spring available from LIDL for a few quid each and a (secondhand) Hincapie Aple Brim cap for extreme conditions in winter but I may consider buying some cotton caps for the summer or wait until I go to see Le Tour in Brrittany and cadge a freebie off the caravan.
  • Ever had a bee or wasp sting inside your helmet when out on a ride? cotton cap, you bet :P
  • TKing
    TKing Posts: 43
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/Product/20902/assos-mille-cotton-cap.asp

my assos cap even has racing stripes to make me go faster! worth every penny....
  • however i've noticed a trend in magazines etc where people are wearing a small peak cap under their helmet.
    :

Yeah. Who was it who has just thought of the idea of wearing a peaked cap while cycling? Can't think why no one had thought of that before.
  • i've never quite understood the mountain bike peak, road bike no peak thing either :shock:

I think it's because it's hard to see in the tuck if the visor gets in the way (which it does a bit on my Xen)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Can't beat a cycling cap - helmet or no helmet. Keeps the sun and rain out of your eyes, provides shade and warmth and available. Predas have a great range and do multi saver deals - http://www.prendas.co.uk/multisaver.asp
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    however i've noticed a trend in magazines etc where people are wearing a small peak cap under their helmet.
    :

Yeah. Who was it who has just thought of the idea of wearing a peaked cap while cycling? Can't think why no one had thought of that before.

Berky mate, this is why he posted in Beginners... he didnt know ...
    I have a Sugoi merino cap for the winter and use cotton caps in summer... the nasty insect scenario can happen very easily. They fit under my very cheapo Specialized helmet. (looks ok anyways).. I just refuse to pay the rediculous sums of those supposedly higher spec ones... wearing a helmet was feck all use in my last off anyways.. and no I dont make a habit of it either... but thats another argument... I wear one just to shut the chatterin classes the feck up.