MTB Skills Courses

Alan P
Alan P Posts: 127
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum, but have been mountain biking for about a year now. I started with a Scott Scale 70 HT and have recently (November) bought a Scott Genius 60 FS. I mainly do XC and ride almost always at trail centres (Llandegla, Cannock and Gisburn).

It's my birthday soon and my wife is talking about buying me a skills course (I'd been on about it for a few weeks and she has seized on the opportunity as a present idea). The idea is that we make a few days away of it and she joins me too, although she is much more of a novice and isn't very confident when it gets bumpy.

I'm looking for some advice on the best skills courses available please. I'm thinking of an intermediate level for me and a beginners level for the wife. Anybody got any experiences and could recommend a course/venue. It's general MTB skills and more confidence we're both after.

BTW, I should say I didn't really want to do the course at any of the places I've ridden as this will give me the chance to explore elsewhere and frankly, I've ridden Llandegla and Cannock too much recently!
Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)

Comments

• How do you feel about the Surrey Hills? Bit of a trek, but I did a course their last year and tyeh guy was fantastic. Let me know and I'll send on the details.

Thx
    Ian
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • Dropped you a PM Alan.
  • I'm booked on the 2 day stop crashing course with Ed Oxley on the Long Mynd next month. Details at www.great-rock.co.uk
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    www.getmountainbiking.co.uk

I did 2 of their courses when I started out - very well organised and learnt a lot. Highly recommended.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    IMO all those split skills levels are big marketing BS. Bike riding is just basic bike riding, to learn basic core and spread old new generation school just go with Jedi. Do yourself a favour and use search facility with people reports about him.

Amen.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    Thanks to everybody who replied both on here and by PM......much appreciated :D

Will discuss with the wife now and decide which one we both want to go on. We probably won't get to do it for a few weeks with other commitments being the way they are, but I'll post on here how we get on as feedback for anybody else who might be thinking of a course.

Thanks again
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)
  • McBlip 2
    McBlip 2 Posts: 1
    nonnac85 wrote:
    www.getmountainbiking.co.uk

I did 2 of their courses when I started out - very well organised and learnt a lot. Highly recommended.

I second that ...
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    davewalsh wrote:
    I'm booked on the 2 day stop crashing course with Ed Oxley on the Long Mynd next month. Details at www.great-rock.co.uk

Ed is a top guy.

If he's doing one at Gisburn you can make a great weekend of it and book yourself in to the Dog & Partridge Pub up the road at Tosside. Properly bike friendly.. with superb breakfast served inside the bike shop :-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk