recon race

rs4
rs4 Posts: 16
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi, i have a pair of recon race solo air forks fitted to my rockhopper,today when i compressed the fork it made a knocking noise and with very little resistance virtually bottomed out.I checked the pressure which was down to 40psi from 130ish when it was put away after sundays ride.i attempted to inflate them but only managed to pop out the dust seal on top of one of the fork legs with a bang with only 50psi in them.I let out the rest of the air and inflated to 130psi with no further trouble and they seem to work ok.OR DO THEY,any info gratefully appreciated.....thanks...........

Comments

• Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    Sounds funny to me, I'd pull the air spring unit out and check there's not a damaged seal or something. TFtuned will sell any spares you may need.
  • rs4
    thanks,just on their site now,is it an easy enough strip down or would you recommend leaving it to the experts...
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    Yeah easy, let the air out, undo the bottom bolt half way and tap with a hammer until it breaks free (oil will come out so catch it), undo the 24mm top cap, remove bottom bolt and the whole thing will slide out the top.
  • rs4
    thanks again.may have a go tomorrow....
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    If they haven't been serviced in a while it may just be worth biting the nail, and sending them off to TFtuned for a full service, all seals will be replaced and they will work like new. Definitely worth the £89!
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • rs4
    they are only 14 months old but have not been looked at in that time apart from usual cleaning and pressure checks..
  • rs4
    bottled it,they are now in singletrack bikes in galashiels to be done properly.....