brake upgrade

Twostage
Twostage Posts: 987
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Did some searches (just before the forum went belly up, been waiting ages to post this) and I just need confirmation really.
I'd like to improve the performance of my sora brakes (rest of the gear is tiagra). Am I right that the simplest thing is to replace the current one piece blocks with cartridge types and use something like koolstops in them ?

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Yes you are correct! Koolstop Salmons or Swissstop Greens for better wet and dry stopping power. I believe both can be purchased with cartridges included.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Did a bit of surfing. A few places selling dura ace and ultegra compatible cartridge brake pads but can't find any that list sora specifically. Are these higher spec ones compatible, they look as if they should be ?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Twostage wrote:
    Did a bit of surfing. A few places selling dura ace and ultegra compatible cartridge brake pads but can't find any that list sora specifically. Are these higher spec ones compatible, they look as if they should be ?
    Yes.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    cartridge pads are generally listed as either shimano or campagnolo fit. Campag have a slightly larger diameter bolt that won't fit in the slot on shimano brakes but any shimano fit should work. I switched the 1 piece blocks that came with my shimano R450 brakes for some aztec cartridges and it made a noticeable difference. Will probably try some swissstops once the aztecs wear out.

I've also tried Ashima pads on my other bike, which were ok but wear quite quickly and the koolstops which have just been fitted and have a good feel but can't comment on longevity yet.