Scratched/chipped frame

gordy-
gordy- Posts: 7
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon

Any suggestions as to the best type of paint to repair a deep scratch/chip on my frame?

Bike was damaged in transit, and being all black it shows up pretty bad. I don' t see my bike as an ornament but it's really doing my head in having white chips on the frame.

Would a spot of car paint do it with a bit of laquer on the top?

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I find the best way to do it is get some of that touch up paint that comes in a bottle with a brush (Halfords sell it) or a matching model paint. Put a blob of it in the scratch, don't worry if it stands above the rest of the paint height as that's a good thing. Let it dry over night then t-cut it back flush with the existing paint. If you get the car type paint you normally get a bottle of clear coat in the same pack but I don't find that essential.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    There is a product called Langka blob eliminator i think I've seen it in halfords if not Frosts sell it online

http://www.langka.com/paint_chip_repair.php guide to filling scratches/chips

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8221&frostProductName=Langka%20Chip%20Repair%20(2%20oz)
    If you have a chipped paint surface or exposed metal surface - clean the area thoroughly, use a matchstick or brush to apply some touch-up paint to the chip, allow it to dry, typically 45-90 minutes. This will leave the usual "blob" of touch-up paint visible on the surface. Wrap a smooth cloth around the included "buffing card". Apply LANGKA generously to the flat surface . Rub LANGKA over the "blob" for 15-30 seconds allowing it to penetrate and begin smoothing the "blob" of excess paint. Once the touch-up paint "blob" begins to wear off, rub gently until the excess paint is gone but paint is left inside the chip or scratch.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er