Majorca/Mallorca Route Advice

Leesykoi
Leesykoi Posts: 338
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

Seen the other threads that mention this part of the world but i have a more specific question.

In late April i am spending a week at the Pollentia Club Resort (5km from Puerto Pollensa centre).

As well as the missus who isn't a cyclist i'm taking my road bike - no jokes please chaps she's sensitive (haha my bike that is) !!!!

Can anyone recommend any sites that have routes i can download for my Garmin 705 as i don't really do maps and stuff ?

Many thanks in advance for all your help and if any of you are in the area w/c 23rd April drop me a PM.

Lee.
I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!

Comments

• Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Managed to find these myself and thought i'd post up for any others travelling over to Majorca.

http://www.tmracing.org.uk/bi-po/

http://www.roygardiner.com/ciclosol/index.htm

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Thanks for posting those links. Very useful.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    For a nice climb and a couple of hours ride go left along the bay follow the signs for Formentor go up and over cap formentor drop down the other side then look around and come back up thats a nice 2-3 hours

Better would be out of pollenca towards Pollenca town (very easy straight road to find) then just comtinue over the Tramuntana mountains nice long steady climbs. When you get to the top you can go left or right. Go left down towards inca then you can turn left and head back along the island towards Alcudia pollenca thats a nice 4 hours or if you want to go mad do what i did last weekend and go over the whole range to port soller, then climb back out of port soller intowards santa maria and then back north along to pollenca. There is also sa colabra halfway along the mountains but if you go down there you must take your legs with you to get back up its a bit of a trek.

All the routes are pretty obvious in a lot of the areas but in general I find it nice to just take a road and see where it goes you never end up that far away as its an island here. ive got a garmin 605 and ive never used the map function once put it that way.

Bas
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    So. I'm overdue for a break and need to get some miles in my legs. I look up flights and find a quotes for good hotel deal in C'an Picador Mallorca. Don't want to take the bike as it's £50 charges and a load of hassle. I'll hire one. No problem. Just check transfers on the Resorthopper from Palma airport. Whaddya know? It's not running. Bummer. Instead I get crazy quotes for £100 to transport me across the island. I've got a return flight for less!
    So I either don't go, or pay to drag the bike across and then have to cycle across the Island after being up half the night for the 6am flight. Solo travellers don't half suffer. So Mallorca is great if you are in a group or loaded.

Arrrgghhhhhhh. :twisted:
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Have a look at Majorca Shuttlebus. 46 Euro return, Palma to Pollenca, per person, including bike.

Rick

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • bikepacker
    bikepacker Posts: 898
    bigjim wrote:
    So. I'm overdue for a break and need to get some miles in my legs. I look up flights and find a quotes for good hotel deal in C'an Picador Mallorca. Don't want to take the bike as it's £50 charges and a load of hassle. I'll hire one. No problem. Just check transfers on the Resorthopper from Palma airport. Whaddya know? It's not running. Bummer. Instead I get crazy quotes for £100 to transport me across the island. I've got a return flight for less!
    So I either don't go, or pay to drag the bike across and then have to cycle across the Island after being up half the night for the 6am flight. Solo travellers don't half suffer. So Mallorca is great if you are in a group or loaded.

Arrrgghhhhhhh. :twisted:

Do you mean C'an Picafort? If so there is a bus from Palma. Get airport bus to Europa Square walk through the park to the bus station, there is a service to Can Picafort. o
    Or you can get one to Alcudia and catch the local bus from there.

If you do decide to take your bike and don't want to ride all the way you can get a train to Inca and cycle from there.

There is some Palma airport infomation at the bottom of this page: http://www.by-bike.co.uk/mallorca.htm

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk