Clunky gear change

men1pal
men1pal Posts: 29
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I have just built my first bike and all appears good except I have found when I change gears under load the change is clunky, like the chain slips a link possibly. I have had a look around the forum and the net but can only really find advice on the chain slipping whilst riding. If I pedal softly and change gear all is smooth and whilst in a specific gear all is fine and all gears are indexed fine. I only get this problem whilst changing gears when there is pressure on the pedals. All of the components are new and were bought together (full alivio groupset) I believe the chain is HG50. I am thinking possibly the chain is too tight? I did take a few links out before fitting. Has anyone experienced this before and can advise is this would cause these kinds of problems? If so can I add more links to the chain without adding a point of failure. I think I have another reinforced pin so could I use this without making the chain weak or does my problem lie elsewhere? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Changing under load is clunky, slacken off as you change.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Changing under load is clunky, slacken off as you change.

...and read the track better and get in the right gear just before you actually need it...
  • Great. Thanks for your replies. Nice to know there is nothing wrong with my setup. So this would suggest I sort of know how to build a bike, I just need to learn how to ride it! Thanks again for your quick and concise replies.
  • men1pal wrote:
    Great. Thanks for your replies. Nice to know there is nothing wrong with my setup. So this would suggest I sort of know how to build a bike, I just need to learn how to ride it! Thanks again for your quick and concise replies.

If it shifts cleanly up and down when pedalling along the flat with no undue lag or clatter, it should be fine - you've said it indexes correctly in all gears...

As long as you remember not to cross the chain too far - i.e. big ring to big ring or small ring to small ring, it should all be good.
  • The Alivio is a decent set, but not as slick as XTR or X0. The compromise is the cogs are not as precisely ramped as the more expensive gear, the chain (HG50) is a bit more rugged. All this adds to a cluncky feel under hard pedalling.

If you go to a MTB race, you'll find many riders crashing and clunking changes even on the most expensive chainsets!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4