K24's - I thought my old Juicys squealed in the wet!!!!!!

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
First wet ride with the new 24's this morning and the squealing from the front 180 rotor was unreal! Didn't seem to quieten down after a hrad brake either. The 160mm rear strangely was almost silent.

Something wrong or par for the course? Obviously expected some squeal but it was really bad. Given the difference between front and rear I did think there might be a setup issue or is it simply the larger rotor?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info from Formula in the FAQs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers but read them and there's nothing in there which helps. Only possibility was contaminated pads but they are fine and noise free when dry and there's no loss of power so I'm discounting that as an option. Maybe just something to live with but it was beyond anything I've heard from a disc brake in the wet!!

• Not sure if it could be contaminated pads or the back of the pad on the piston..... I have had juicy 5's and recently my new Formula rx1's sound like a honking goose under braking.

A thin smear of copper grease on the metal back of the pad being careful not to get it on the pad itself has always cured the problem for me.
  • Cheers. Will give it a go. Looking at it tonight it looks like one of the pistons is a bit lazy - maybe leading to issues with alignment etc. Poor (is it?) in a brand new set but I'll get it sorted tomorrow. I'll give the copper grease a try too. Anything to even reduce the noise would be great. As I said the rear was virtually noise free in the same conditions.

Thanks for the help

• twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I've just moved to K24's after my Elixir Rs wouldn't stop squeeling like stuck pigs in the wet or sticking when hot and dry.

Second ride on them today and when they got wet the front squeeled quite loudly, but after a hard stop went back to silent.

As the brakes themselves are superb and far better than the Elixirs imho, i will put up with a minor squeel. :)

They remind me of my old Hope C2 sealed system of years ago, which is a good thing as long as they don't lock on down repeated hills ;)
  • Had a go at sorting the lazy piston yesterday and managed to pop the piston! Doh! I am quite the idiot when it comes to bike maintenance. Anyway the piston seems OK now but the brakes will need a bleed. Will give it a bleed tomorrow night and hopefully that'll be it sorted. I'll then spend a bit of time properly aligning the caliper - that spin wheel, pull lever, tighten process never seems to work for me.

Cheers

• red eye
    red eye Posts: 264
    the squealing is the pads vibrating the disc like a tuning fork

copper grease on the BACK of the pads will dampen the vibrations but will attract brake dust

motor factors sell stickon pads to tick on the back of the brake pads might be a little too thick

mercades have a sachet of anti squeal compound in their genuine brake pads (polite for im charging you quadruple for the genuine brake pad box)

a very light smear of high temp silicone liquid gasket might work

I even seen some dude cut up a coke can and use it as a shim