Specialized Tricross 2009 should I?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
picture the scene.....my boss bought a Tricross a few years ago, i think litrally the bike was used about 3 times and has been sitting in a cupboard in work ever since...

so i might make him an offer on it, what do you think its resonably worth?

but, i dont know if im ready to go to one of them skinny bikes yet, im use to leary mountain bikes
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• darkside.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    hmm im interested, is this cookie a "millies cookie"? if so sign me up

ok question, if i went for one of them silly skinny bikes is it compulsory to wear lycra?!

theres a guy i see ever morning on my way in full lycra gear including shoe covers, helmet, sun glasses (when was the last time you seen a sunny day in liverpool) an he travels at about 8mph

i like being in the cool gang (MTB) but i want to go fast god damn it
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Tricross is chunky enough to handle a MTB'er. Go for it. Once you're on drops you won't go back.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mudcow007 wrote:
    hmm im interested, is this cookie a "millies cookie"? if so sign me up

ok question, if i went for one of them silly skinny bikes is it compulsory to wear lycra?!

theres a guy i see ever morning on my way in full lycra gear including shoe covers, helmet, sun glasses (when was the last time you seen a sunny day in liverpool) an he travels at about 8mph

i like being in the cool gang (MTB) but i want to go fast god damn it

You can always wear baggies over Lycra and maintain the illusion of being cool?
    Tricross seems a good way to venture to the dark side without losing yourself entirely, and it'll not melt in the rain like full Carbon bling.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The CX bike and by extension: the Tricross is IMHO the most flexible choice of commuter bike you can make.

It's good at everything (not the best, but good) fast (I've topped 40mph on mine) strong, clearances for guards and mounts for racks (if you want) Neutral handing (which you don't realise until you get on a carbon bike) VERY comfortable. Good components - change the Borough tyres though - and it can take > 35c tyres if you really want.

You can have a set of CX tyres for the mud and 25c road tyres for the commute (I use 28c myself pumped to 100psi)

When fully fit I cruise at about 18mph and my old commute was 14 miles of urban, suburban, bridleway, and country lanes which this bike allowed me to get a PB of 45 mins - usually 50 mins.

Quick enough?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • The CX bike and by extension: the Tricross is IMHO the most flexible choice of commuter bike you can make.

Personally, I disagree. CX bikes are a poor substitute for an audax or touring bike, in my opinion. They aren't as fast, nor as comfortable, nor are they any better at carrying a load. The only real advantage to them is that they could do a little more off-road, not that anyone does. Any touring bike could manage a canal path, it's more down to the tyres.
  • clarkey cat
    ... but if its a bargain...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ...........with the elephant.

I happliy canal path on deep section rims and 24mm tyres at 100psi. Have to remember to keep the mouth closed and the 'arriss hovering over the worst bits though... :D

Have to admit being tempted by a Major Jake or the new Whyte CX however - but not for road duty.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I say make him an offer, you don't need to wear lycra on a road bike, or as dhope says, baggies over the top, cx bikes do make very good commuting machines regardless of how much damage you want to inflict on your pure roadie wheels by taking them offroad...

As to what it's worth, is it a standard tricross, sport or comp? Have a look on ebay, some prices are inflated badly but it's a good guide to what it'll be worth.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • i'm a sucker for bargains, if its cheap enough then i will buy it whether i need it or not :oops:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    tri-sexual wrote:
    i'm a sucker for bargains, if its cheap enough then i will buy it whether i need it or not :oops:

+5
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    right, just been up there to see it its a Sport whats the differences in the models?

heres a pic to wet your whistle

IMG_0179.jpg
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Looks almost new. Sport will feature a better transmission than the standard tripple - Tiagra shifters/front mech, and a Deore LX rear mech as well as an FSA Tempo crank. Essentially that's about it.

A word of warning though, and this is from experience; it won't take you long to start hankering after a 'real' road bike... :wink:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • mudcow007
    i think it has litrally been used twice,

im still not totally sold on the drop bars an skinny tyres yet, i thought the 1.5" on my mtb commuter were thin

they dont look comfortable to ride at all, my boss is off at the moment so i might take it out for a spin an see what its like
  • Flaming 'eck - it's a complete bike! :shock:

You've even got GOOD mudguards, a rack, lights and a bleeding bike comp.

All you to do is plonk your arse on it and start riding
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Mr Plum
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i think it has litrally been used twice,

im still not totally sold on the drop bars an skinny tyres yet, i thought the 1.5" on my mtb commuter were thin

they dont look comfortable to ride at all, my boss is off at the moment so i might take it out for a spin an see what its like

32mm tyres aren't skinny. I use my Tricross 99% on road so I'm running 25mm tyres on it at the moment and they're so much quicker than the chunky 32mm CX tyres it came with. I'm almost a total convert to road riding after years of MTBing, and that's only after 4 months of using a Tricross through winter. Like you, I was hesitant about the whole 'road bike' thing so went for the Tricross as it's fit for purpose for what I intend to use it for and I felt that it was a good compromise for making the step between a MTB and a road bike... a few months on and my only regret is that I didn't go for an out and out road bike, but no worries there cos the hardtail MTB will be sold at the start of summer and I'll get myself a nice 'sunday best' road bike :D
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I love my tricross I have used the stock 32's all winter but have some durano+ 25's on order.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • clarkey cat
    so....?
  • mudcow007
    my boss is currently "AWOL" so im waiting until he comes back to ask

i thougth it was bad form just to take the bike an leave a PostIt note saying i have taken it

i cant imagine it will be cheap if he says he will sell it though
  • Mr Plum
    mudcow007 wrote:

Anything around £400 would be a very good price.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The CX bike and by extension: the Tricross is IMHO the most flexible choice of commuter bike you can make.

Personally, I disagree. CX bikes are a poor substitute for an audax or touring bike, in my opinion. They aren't as fast, nor as comfortable, nor are they any better at carrying a load. The only real advantage to them is that they could do a little more off-road, not that anyone does. Any touring bike could manage a canal path, it's more down to the tyres.

Never had any problems with my Tricross. Fast enough to do the Etape Caledonia in a decent time, and a Trossachs Ton, yet flexible enough to carry enough luggage for me to tour round Scotland in a tent. Fit the guards and it is a great commuter, able to do canals, Kelvin walkway and Maryhill Road. Yes, sir, it sure is some bike.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    Mr Plum wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I agree with this. Although to be honest as a very happy Tricross owner I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand if he insists on more.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I agree with this. Although to be honest as a very happy Tricross owner I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand if he insists on more.

Depending on how serious you are about it, I'd be prepared to go up to £500 - the bike is basically new and come with 'guards and a rack + extras fitted!
    FCN 2 to 8