Replacing Shimano Ultegra Chainring

howiish
howiish Posts: 49
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I'd like to replace the inner chainring of my crankset. It's Ultegra 6600 standard setup, 52 outside, 39 inner.

I can't seem to find specific instructions on how to do this on the net and could do with understanding the job before I kick off so I know what tools I'll need.

Will i need to remove the chainset to fit the new ring? Or will I be able to remove the existing chainrings with the crankset in place and then fit them over the crankarm?

Comments

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    you should be able to get the chainring off without removing the chainset, just undo the chainring bolts and rotate the chainrings past the crank spider arms.The problematic bit will be undoing the chainring bolts, there is a specific tool to go in the rear spline of the chainring bolt but you may be alright with a large flat head screwdriver or just with an allen key
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Tip: if you find that the chainring 'nut' just turns when you try and undo the bolt and you don't have a tool to fit in the slot, find a piece of pipe to put over the Allen key for a bit of leverage then give it a quick, sharp jerk anticlockwise. This can help loosen the bolt, not sure why but it works.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    The bolts on my Ultegra 6700 or Star shaped, but i managed with an allen key.

Persoanly i'd remove the whole chainset, this will be alot easyier for Re-Assemble, as there are spacers and washers and they need to go back in the correct order.

I fitted a new chain recently and decided to take my Chainset appart to cleen it, whilst the chain was off.

You dont need to take your chain off to remove the chainset.