Cycle computer & Led Lighting conflict

zeroseven
zeroseven Posts: 347
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a VDO X3DW cycle computer my boy bought me for xmas. its seems to not work when my front LED light is on (which is most of the time on the road). I've moved them as far apart as is practical but the computer still goes dead

VDO haven't answered my emails via their site so I have no choice but to take it back to the retailer and try to get a refund.

Anyone know of a fix if they refuse? I cant imagine they would, as it seems reasonable to expect it to work with a light....but you never know.

Thanks

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It is a common occurance these days with wireless computers and LED lights. AFAIK there is no list of what light works with what computer but from experience cateye lights and computers don't conflict.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Well this is new to me. The mode of interference will be RF signal interfering with the receiver in the computer unit. Shielding this with a metal object - even Al foil with the aim of reflecting the signal coming from the lamp away from the computer. The light will not affect the computer but therre must be some sort of signal being generated within the lamp which needs to be obstructed. I guess there may be some sort of voltage step up which is interfering because LED are DC so theoretically there would be no rf signal being emitted if the voltage was unaltered. I'd try foli around the light casing - obviously not the front.
  • I'd try foli around the light casing -.

Hmmm let me think......thanks but refund please. Even when 15 inches apart the computer still occasionally cuts which makes it useless

I did read a review that said the computer was well shielded against high pwer lighting units but not good enough it seems against my cheap little Smart

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/gadgets/cycle-computers/product/x3dw-computer-09-35200
  • Trev71
    Trev71 Posts: 46
    I have an X3DW and have exactly the same problem intermittently with my Fenix LED torch. Bizarrely, when the problem occurs, the computer stops registering my speed but continues to record distance. I find that as soon as I turn the light off, the computer goes back to normal. I can then turn the light back on and everything seems fine.
  • Interesting Trev71. Mine freezes speed and distance completely when light is either in flash or constant mode

It also jumped from 9 miles to 13 yesterday. I was testing it against Cardio Trainer on my phone as I doubted the distance it gave for a ride earlier in the week. It was spot on at 3miles, 6 miles and then as I checked it at 9 it leapt to 13 and stayed 4 miles out all the way to 32 miles. The margin of error the day before was also about 4 miles

Shame VDO don't respond to emails, I can forgive a lot when people at least appear to give a ****
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I've never had any problem with my Garmin Edge which talks to both my HR and cadence sensor. I run anything up to 6 high power LEDs.

Personally I wouldn't mention the lights. Just reject the puter because it doesn't work.