Cycling to work causes heart attacks, love the Daily Mail

Comments

• JLM74
    JLM74 Posts: 108
    And it probably affects your house price too!
  • If cycling to work kills then the obvious solution is to cycle away from work, isn't it? You may wish to experiment with cycling home after work to counteract the pernicious effects of cycling to work earlier on in the day.

I've never ever bought a Daily Mail, yet somehow it stills feels like a waste of money to me.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    princess diana rode past being chased by illegal immigrants, and those europeans want to steal our pound blah blah..... :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    seriously, the daily mail is a joke!
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    I cycle to the newsagents to get my copy of the Mail :shock: looks like they've lost a reader then
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    brin wrote:
    I cycle to the newsagents to get my copy of the Mail :shock: looks like they've lost a reader then

Why, have you died of a heart attack.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Classic, I particularly like the fact that having negative emotions increases your risk of a heart attack, as does having positive emotions. I think the researchers have missed a trick though, just before every heart attack people are breathing... I think there will be a strong positive correlation, therefore, between breathing and having a heart attack, the pollution is probably irrelevant, the act of breathing seems to be the problem. Why have we not been told before, it makes me angry, ahh that's another 3.1% I'll be lucky to make it through the day.

Having been interviewed by the science editor of a tabloid paper, I can see how this happens.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    What a depressingly stupid article, by a depressingly stupid journalist in a depressingly stupid newspaper.

So, immediately preceding a heart attack the most numerous activities (apparently totalling 18% of coronaries) involved exercise, traffic and pollution. So what imaginary scenario combines these risk factors - oh I know cycling in traffic!.

The underlying benefits of exercise to health? That'll be a negative then. The streets must be strewn with stricken cyclists and joggers who've thoughtlessly exposed themselves to the near certainty of a coronary. They were just asking for it weren't they?

Actually the saving grace is the comments - some of them are refreshingly good.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    This may have been posted in previous - isnt the Daily Mail a complete waste of time and money, but always makes me smile:

The things Daily Mail have reported gives you cancer:

http://hellokinsella.posterous.com/the-daily-mail-list-of-things-that-give-you-c
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I quite enjoyed this article: it's one of the best examples I've seen of journalists taking a given fact and then drawing completely the wrong conclusion from it that I've ever seen.

The study suggests that cycling in heavy traffic can trigger a heart-attack. That's not the same thing as causing a heart-attack. The underlying causes build up over a long period of time: all the study is looking at is the factor which tipped them over the edge. People who don't get heart-attacks in the first place simply won't figure in this study....and if you cycle regularly, you're much more likely to be in this group.

The only real question for me is whether the journalist is being malicious or is just incompetant!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Other than the ridiculous headline surely the report is just stating the results of some research? I don't think it is the reporter as such who is an idiot more the headline writer but then again they have done their job as people are now looking at the story!
  • pedylan
    Pross wrote:
    Other than the ridiculous headline surely the report is just stating the results of some research? I don't think it is the reporter as such who is an idiot more the headline writer but then again they have done their job as people are now looking at the story!

Quote "But of these (risk factors), cyclists are in greatest danger because they are more heavily exposed to pollution and are subjecting themselves to another major heart attack trigger, exercise."

It's the jounalist not the headline writer - if indeed they are separate. She's an oaf. She has to be to work on the Mail.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pedylan wrote:
    What a depressingly stupid article, by a depressingly stupid journalist in a depressingly stupid newspaper.
    I think you'll find that they're none of those things - the whole article, spectacularly fallacious logic and all, is designed entirely to a) dog-whistle to the mail-reading, pro-worrying, anti-everything classes and b) push the buttons of people who it would be fun for the aforementioned mail readers to see getting wound up. In other words you.
  • pedylan
    bompington wrote:
    pedylan wrote:
    I think you'll find that they're none of those things - the whole article, spectacularly fallacious logic and all, is designed entirely to a) dog-whistle to the mail-reading, pro-worrying, anti-everything classes and b) push the buttons of people who it would be fun for the aforementioned mail readers to see getting wound up. In other words you.

It's certainly one possibility I agree. But who's holding the mirror up to who when it comes to targeted behaviour/? On the article page is a picture of an orange lovely in a blue bikini presenting an eye catching photo. The mail coverage seems to be expresssing outrgae that this woman is too stupid to dress appropriately for beach or shopping. Yet she has her photo in their paper and is being talked about. Mission accomplished and Daily Mail responding to its cue?
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    that's what happens when your editor is Chicken Little
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • I used to read the Mail, but gave up purely because of their shit journalists/reporting. It's the Sun in a different cover. All they write about are campaigns they're involved in, or stupid articles like this one. They lost me a while ago, and I won't be going back. Read a grown up NEWSpaper now, not a comic!!!!!
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • rhext
    I was reading The Sun recently and I actually came across a cycling story which didn't immediately descend into an anti-cycling rant, and which appeared to give a balanced voice to the cyclists affected. Still wouldn't buy it, but I was actually quite impressed.

The Mail, on the other hand.....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    rhext wrote:
    I was reading The Sun recently and I actually came across a cycling story which didn't immediately descend into an anti-cycling rant, and which appeared to give a balanced voice to the cyclists affected. Still wouldn't buy it, but I was actually quite impressed.

I wonder why that is...

270211ispa_0713_600.jpg
  • rhext
    rhext wrote:

I wonder why that is...

Maybe....but I'm still not complaining!
  • Everything in the Daily Mail is true - obviously, just ask these guys. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI