Taking MTB on planes

ms
ms Posts: 143
edited February 2011 in MTB general
When a MTB is in an aeroplane cargo hold with the wheels out of the frame, will the air pressure in the cargo hold have any effect on the hydraulic brake fluid?
Have never flown and taken MTB before so any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    never heard it having an effect on the brake fluid, i always stick some spacers between the pads anyway, deflate the tyres and take the air out of my shock (and forks but i have coil) :D
  • ms
    ms Posts: 143
    Thanks

Didnt think about the air in my Fox forks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There was some discussion before about this somewhere. I think the main issue is only what the airline policy is. Some might say somewhere that pressure in shocks should be released at least.

I get the impression it's not really a problem though, probably as the changes in pressure are relatively small compared to the high pressures of tyres, brakes and shocks, and bike components are tough enough to handle it.

Anyway, worth seeing what the airline recommends or requires. They may insist on packing in a certain way also.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Last time I took a bike on a plane they made me deflate the tyres. Didn't have air forks or anything though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    the air pressuree in the hoild is the same as the passenger compartment, and approximates the pressure at 6000-8000 feet - you can cycle higher than that. That said many airline and airport workers are ignorant of the facts and make up daft rules.
  • welshkev
    alfablue wrote:
    the air pressuree in the hoild is the same as the passenger compartment, and approximates the pressure at 6000-8000 feet - you can cycle higher than that. That said many airline and airport workers are ignorant of the facts and make up daft rules.

but for the sake of just having to pump them up again afterwards it's worth doing just in case IMO :D
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    welshkev wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

but for the sake of just having to pump them up again afterwards it's worth doing just in case IMO :D
    Your wheels are more vulnerable to damage by the handlers with un/under-inflated tyres. Also (not a problem with mtb), the desired pressures are very hard to achieve without a track pump.

Last time I declined to deflate them, it was fine.
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    On paper, there is absoloutely no reason to change pressures in your tyres/brakes/shocks etc (i'm a CAA Dangerous air crago shipper)

That said, if the airline policy states that you must deflate these things, you're better off just doing it to save arguement. The last thing you want is for the woman on the desk to get grumpy and refuse to take your bike (or see to it that your bike/bags/both get sent to a different destination)
  • The pressure is the same thoughout the aircraft.
    You couldn't make a thin aluminium vessel that has two greatly differing pressures in it without rediculously strong structural reinforcement.
  • welshkev
    alfablue wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Your wheels are more vulnerable to damage by the handlers with un/under-inflated tyres. Also (not a problem with mtb), the desired pressures are very hard to achieve without a track pump.

Last time I declined to deflate them, it was fine.

i''m sure it will be fine and last time i took my bike on a plane i actually forgot to deflate my tyres :lol: i think it's just a piece of mind thing for me. and i get that about damage by handlers..feckers