Need a beer.!

Karl2010
Karl2010 Posts: 511
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
This weekend will be 7 weeks without any alcohol, and i feel like going and having a few, but im not going to.

The longest i've gone without drinking is 3 months.
After that i drank 2 weekends on the bounce and then didnt drink for another 3 months.

Whats you record?

Im aiming for a 12 month dry spell and if i can do that i may never drink again.
Ill be happy with 6 months sober. Need to smash this 3 month record.

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    But why?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    dcb1575_450.jpeg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Karl2010
    Health & Wellbeing
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    I try to do a couple of dry spells a year, atm i'm in the middle of a month dry spell due to an upcoming duathlon.
    I find I drop about 4 kilos after a month off the sauce, which is a massive bonus come competition day!
    There's a "why" for you.
    Finished
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    A couple of cold beers every now again is neither detrimental to health nor wellbeing.

Preparing for a race for a couple of weeks is one thing, trying to give up the sauce for ever is entirely another.

Good luck though.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    DD pours another V&M +L

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Good work OP, it is hard. I haven't had any lengthly dry spells, I just plan my drinking around events/social gatherings etc. Tend to drink every 2 weeks.

I find I feel alot better (not that I ever felt bad), it helps with training too - I almost have my six pack back... which I lost after one year of university!
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Karl2010 wrote:
    ... Whats you record? ...
    14 years.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Try Allen Carr's book "Easy way to control alcohol".I find a couple of shandies while watching footy in the pub suits me fine.(And I'm not even a southerner :wink: )
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    A friend of mine always says that you will not live longer if you stop drinking alcohol, it will only seem longer..... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • Karl2010
    leeroy72 wrote:
    Find you limits and then exceed them frequently.

This is one of a few reason's why i cut down/quit.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    last couple of times ive had a few beers (ok afew more than a few) ive woken in the night hot and sweaty and ive felt like i could feel the alchohol fighting with my body- yeah i know it sounds strange till you experience it. anyway its supposed to be a poison so now i have one beer with lunch -if i fancy it - probably once a month max. like a lot of stuff its the old moderation chestnut. feeling healthy and dont miss drink at all
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • leeroy72 wrote:
    A friend of mine always says that you will not live longer if you stop drinking alcohol, it will only seem longer..... 8)

:lol:

He's not Australian by any chance?
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I did not have any alcohol for the whole of 2010....now in 2011 I have had a couple of pints on occasion, with food and friends out socially......no real advantage to totally giving up as far as I can see......nice to know the will power is there and how easy it was to cut it out though.
  • Red Wine ftw?

I can't understand cutting out alcohol,
    cutting out Beer maybe...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I like bikes and beer and this weekend i'm going to combine the two. I'm off to Derby beer fest this afternoon and then i'll spend the weekend trying to cycle the effects off! The average speed will be down but the effort will be up.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    All things in moderation...

...including moderation
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Think I did 3 months many years ago when I wanted to get some intensive studying done during my college days.

Can't see me repeating it anytime soon as I really like the taste of drink, it's a source of pleasure for me. Having said that, I rarely get seriously drunk these days (apart for a titanic bender last xmas eve for a friends 30th) as can't abide wasting any days of my weekend to a hangover but being completely alcohol free....no thanks!
  • Attica wrote:
    All things in moderation...

...including moderation

And I'm such a firm believer in the ''A little bit of what you fancy does you good'' principle that I take small sips. That takes care of the moderation angle :wink:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Bikes and beer are the only vices I have. So not prepared to give either up.
    Bottle of Maple Moon tonight me thinks.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • I've never had a dry spell, and never felt the need to. I used to drink, to excess, when I was younger, and enjoyed it, but with 2 children, 4 & 6 mths, I cannot handle a hangover anymore, and don't want to waste my days off work lying in bed and not spending time with the family. I still have a drink, but rarely get drunk these days, and regularly go for weeks without drinking at all. It's been said already, everything in moderation.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • All the best with giving it up, it'll save you a bob or two aswell.

Personally I enjoy a drink and keep it to a moderate level (I do slip up on occassion)

Pretty much like Mr Goo, bikes and beer are my only vices oh! and I'm not adverse to a bit of ahem "naughtyness" :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    It would be nice to be able to be able to drink moderately but that's easier for some than others. I get one drink in me and that's it: the begining of the end for the evening. Moderate drinking is not an option, unfortunately, so I try and just drink nothing as often as I can. Should be more often. Longest period without was from 0-2 years old before I could use my baby walking trainer thingy to move around and steal my grandfather's gin and it. Could be the reason why I never won the tour de France.