Modifying ss hub to take gears

red eye
red eye Posts: 264
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a SS DJ bike which I built up and spent too much money on. So now im bored of only riding ss and want geared bike too. I will get a new bike/frame but I want a transition double and right now I cant justify spending that amount of money :cry:

So here is were I need some help

I have a halo DJD hub which is a 135x14mm axle. the cog is around 18-19mm wide so space for 4 cogs

it has 3 pawls on the driver just like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20499

so as I have no freebody to hand what freebodys are out there like the one in the pic. and what are the dimensions of the pawl area also how much machining is possible to get the body down to 20mm?

im thinking to machine the body down to 20mm then machining the inside if needed to fit sealed bearings out of the halo driver.

So what do you think guy is this doable? I should be picking up my old deore hub hoping it has pawls on the freebody.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy a new wheel?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    red eye wrote:
    I have a SS DJ bike which I built up and spent too much money on. So now im bored of only riding ss and want geared bike too. I will get a new bike/frame but I want a transition double and right now I cant justify spending that amount of money :cry:

So here is were I need some help

I have a halo DJD hub which is a 135x14mm axle. the cog is around 18-19mm wide so space for 4 cogs

it has 3 pawls on the driver just like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20499

so as I have no freebody to hand what freebodys are out there like the one in the pic. and what are the dimensions of the pawl area also how much machining is possible to get the body down to 20mm?

im thinking to machine the body down to 20mm then machining the inside if needed to fit sealed bearings out of the halo driver.

So what do you think guy is this doable? I should be picking up my old deore hub hoping it has pawls on the freebody.

nothing out there that will work. New hub time.

but can your frame take a hanger?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • red eye
    it has horizontal drop outs, and there are 10mm chain tugs with a hanger on crc

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20499 looked very promising drill out the center 2mm to make it fit 14mm axle

so were can i find a good cheep 14mm 36h hub
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I think you'll have trouble finding a 14mm hub that will take a cassette hub. I think 12mm id the largest you can go due to it having to pass through the lockring
  • red eye
    I was planning making the hole bigger its only 2mm
  • nicklouse
    you can, the Halo Spin Doc range can have axe men fitted to take them upto 14mm but this is on a 10mm threaded axle, but you will still need to find 14mm tugs with hanger.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • red eye
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=249] for 10mm drop outs

can drill axle holes to 14mm and have 2x 2mm ally plate welded or screwed araldite even on the lugs to fit dropouts
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    It's not strictly a 14mm hub though, more of an adapted 10mm :wink: It'll work for the OP's purpose though.

As for the chain tug, the OP seems intent on drilling out a freehub body. Maybe he'd have a bash at some chain tugs
  • red eye
    not just drilling out, shortening it to take four cogs!

I would make the tugs but it is much easier to modify

all im after is some gears lol im not asking for much just three gears so I dont need to pedal like an F1 car to get some speed (25/11)
  • nicklouse
    it aint happening without a new hub.

and it is not just shortening either.
  • red eye
    oh well would of been a cool little project :(
  • nicklouse
    LITTLE not really. a big project maybe.
  • If all you want is 3 gears then why not just fit a triple crank?
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • red eye
    because I thought I would help a small bike builder out by giving them my custom, little did I know that the biggest chainwheel you can get on with bmx cranks (Spanish bb) is a 25t at a push. and they rip my nice jeans :( Good idea tho

ok nicklouse do you know the ID of the threaded part of the freehub were the lock ring thing keeps the cogs from falling off? im hoping it is the same as the OD of the djd driver.

Im running out of things to work on I got my RC to get started which will be tomorrow then its daytime tv :shock: