gear shifting problem

glenn.hobbs
glenn.hobbs Posts: 3
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently ride a Giant XTC EX (2006) It has all the factory fitted equipment. 9 speed rear cassette.

Shimano SL-M751 Deore XT shifter
Shimano Deore XT rear mech.

I have noticed a problem with the shifting. From Low to high (big to small) working down the cassette is fine.

However from high to low (small to big) i have a problem. The first click on the shifter will not change gear. The second click will change gear. This happens wherever i start from. So i am missing 1 gear working up the cassette.

I am stumped. I have reset the H,L on the rear mech changed the gear cable and am considering changing the chain.

I am confident that the mech is set up correctly and the problem lies else where.

Any ideas

Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered.

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    is the cable tight enough ? is you can shift down ok, then the cable is moving ok within the outer, so if just shifting up is a problem, then maybe the cable isnt tight enough

was the shifter in the lowest gear when you replaced the cable ?

HL screws wont effect the shifting up or down, they just dictate where the mech stops at the upper and lower limit of the cassette

not sure it would be the chain
  • Thanks for the reply.

When i set up the gears the cable was relieased.The mech then took the chain to the largest cog. I then set the cable and set the indexing by moving the chain onto the second largest cog and using the cable adjustment screw on the mech to set here.

Thank you for the advise i will check the cable.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are not making sense. Start on the smallest cog, shift and adjust to next cog and then fine tune.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Clean and lubricate your cables, it sounds like you have a Rapid Rise Rear Derailleur so it is the release of cable tension that binds when gunked up.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aaaaah Shimano's stupid idea. Get a top normal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools