New K24's mystery click from front caliper

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,

Put my new K24's on at the weekend and have been very impressed except for one thing. Whenever I pull on the front brake there is a 'click' which seems to come from the front caliper. It occurs just before the pads contact the rotor. It doesn't seem to affect the braking performance. If it helps they were installed using Formula rotors but with Shimano adapters. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• pad spring?? possibly catching causing the clicking???
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rotor tight. bearings ok. headset fine, forks ok? Or just the pads moving a tad?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Rotors are tight. If it was headset then I'd expect to hear noise at other times - the 'click' is always at the same point in the lever pull - just before pad contact. Could be pads or springs I suppose. Best to take them out and refit - was holding off doing that as I don't want to damage the pads pushing the pistons back - unless anyone can suggest a way of doing that. Always just done it with old pads and a screwdriver but I've no old pads. Most seem to recommend sintered in K24's anyway so might just replace the pads.

I'm assuming it's nothing serious though if braking performance is OK?

Cheers

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You can push the pads back with a wooden or plastic wedge.

I had some Superstar pads that clicked - just once - when I applied the brake. The noise went away after 20 miles or so, I suspect it was a fragment of friction material that was catching on the rotor.
  • Cheers. Reckon I'll give it a week or so first then - see if it goes away. They've only been on the bike for a few days and probably only done about 12 miles. Hopefully once the pads wear in a bit it'll disappear. If not I'll just fling some new pads in and see how we get on.

Cheers folks

• 101_North
    Update:

I've now sorted the lazy piston, bled the system and realigned the caliper but the click is still there. I have noticed a few things though - it only occurs when I'm on the bike and only when the bike is moving. If I'm stationary then it doesn't click. I've had the pads out and they look OK. Headset etc is OK. As it only when the bike is moving I was thinking maybe a very slight bit of play in the front hub, wheel not true etc?

Any one any more ideas as it really ruining my enjoyment of what are otherwise very good brakes.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so when does it actually happen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 101_North
    If I try and gauge it from lever feel then it's just before the pads contact the rotor. It could, however, be right at the point of pad contact but before there is any noticeable braking effect. It happens every time the lever is pulled and occurs just once each time I brake. It doesn't occur when I pull the lever and the bike is stationary. It only seems to be an issue when I'm riding - i.e. front end is loaded and wheel is revolving. If I spin the wheel in the work stand it doesn't appear to do it. Likewise if I'm on the bike but not moving then it doesn't do it.

Had a look at the pads as .blitz suggested but can't see much wrong.

Thanks