Rim tape and seating kevlar bead tyres

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just fitted some Racing Ralph Evo folders to Sun SOS rims, I cant get them to sit right as the rim tape (Zefal Cloth) is uneven unless I pump them up to 4bar with a compressor and they click into the rim

Do I need a thinner (less narrow) rim tape so it only covers the spoke holes/rim bed?

Was thinking of for when I get a puncture and I haven't got access to a compressor.
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so when they have seated(clicked) is there a problem?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    no but they wont seat fully with hand pump pressure the beads catch on the cloth rim tape tried half inflating and flexing the tyre but I could see it catching on the badly fitted lumpy fabric rim tape which where the bead wont sit the tape had been folded over on itself
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    so why not use the compressor ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Change the rim tape, couple of £s
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    GTD. wrote:
    no but they wont seat fully with hand pump pressure the beads catch on the cloth rim tape tried half inflating and flexing the tyre but I could see it catching on the badly fitted lumpy fabric rim tape which where the bead wont sit the tape had been folded over on itself

ok so what is the rim internal width and what width tape are you running? or Pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you don't have a compressor/track pump to hand you're presumably out on the trail, and a slightly lumpy tyre isn't going make the slightest difference to get you home.