Problems with BB5 / replacing or resetting springs

scaramanga10
scaramanga10 Posts: 23
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Ive recently been collecting parts to build my own road bike. I have to say, its my first build in a while. Ive never installed disc brakes before and am trying to get my head around these BB5s.

I first installed them but was not getting much stopping force out of them and my levers felt quite lax. I then found out about the cheeky spring tension adjusters on the underside of the caliper. Tightened them with little effect.. THEN, realized i should really have set them closer to the discs on the non-adjustable side. I did this, again, helped somewhat.

I decided to do this to the front brake, although i was semi-happy with the tension, and also give the tension nut an extra whirl.

I heard a click and not the spring seems to have come out of place or broken :( REALLY not happy.

Is there a way of opening up the unit and possibly resetting the spring? And any tips on the setup / why the tension may be so slack.

Comments

• OK, one issue fixed. I unscrewed the tensioner all the way out and it reset. But im still not satisfied with the tensions im getting. It takes me half a pull on the levers to get much at all.

Any ideas?
  • Ok, ive got them just about how i want them.. Not the easiest set up!