Lightweight pedals for older bike

lastpubrunner
lastpubrunner Posts: 108
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I'm (still) in the process of building up my Raleigh 753 SBDU frame.

I've most of the parts that I require and I now have to consider pedals. I'm really uncertain what to do here; should I fit some genuine old pedals and use toeclips ? Or should I use something else ? I realise that toeclips are less 'efficient', but I've little knowledge of SPD's etc. etc.

Again, I'd like pedals that are light, look good and are 'in keeping' with the bike - can anyone make any suggestions ?

I'm open-minded as to the type of pedals, with no particular preference - though I'd like to be able to walk in the appropriate cycling shoes.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions.

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I don't think toe clips are particularly any less efficient if done up tight.

More dangerous though, as getting your feet out in a hurry is more of a challenge.

Having spent plenty of years riding both I think clipless pedals are much neater and more convenient than toe clips.

For your purposes Ihow about Shimano A520s (or the Ultegra equivalent)? They look the part, perform well, and you can walk in the shoes (suggest something from the Shimano Road Touring range - eg RT52, RT81 shoes)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I like the old toe clips - but then that is what I grew up with, and never had the slightest desire to change to clipless. Not only do I prefer using them, I like the look of them as well; I want my pedals to look like pedals, not like dough blenders on some bread-making machine.

I've got a lovely pair of TA quill pedals on my tourer - probably the best pedal ever made - but alas these are no longer made and scarce as hens teeth.

MKS make some nice traditional pedals - and readily available, as are the clips and straps that go with them. You should have no problem finding what you want.