Burway Road Church Stretton?

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,490
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Didn't know the best place to put this so opted for cake stop! I've noticed on a few recent trips down the A49 that there was a cracking looking climb going west out of Church Stretton which I have now found out is Burway Road. I chucked it into Ride with GPS and it is about 2 miles long and seems to average about 10% with some stretches at over 15% but the reverse side is about half a mile long with gradients up to 28% :shock: Has anyone ridden this from either side and does anyone have any decent routes in the area that could take it in? I haven't ridden in Shropshire other than a few tours to and race in Bridgenorth but thought I might ride up there from Hereford area in the summer.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's one of the UK's classic climbs - they've held the National Hill Climb champs there too. The hard part is that when you get to the top, it's single track so cars over-take and then stop to give-way to oncoming traffic. If you head over to the other side of Long Mynd, there's the Port Way which climbs from the other side - ride up the Burway, down to Ratlinghope and then back up the Port Way is a good leg-warmer. Head west towards Bishop's Castle and Clun - there's plenty of 20% climbs in those parts too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    The Burway from Church Stretton is one seriously steep climb, 25% in places, you'll need to be seriously fit to get up without a dismount. It is a great route up onto the Long Mynd though, the views down into Cardingmill Valley which drops steeply away to your right are superb. Once your up on top you can descend via Asherton? Bank by the gliding school - this is also very steep and not well surfaced.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Thanks both, I hadn't heard of the climb before and never seen it mentioned in any of the best or steepest climb threads. It looks a beauty from the 'easy' side. When I'm next in Wrexham or Welshpool I might have a drive over it for a closer look. Is it on the Wild Ederic route?