tolerance of an xc bike

jacob2910
jacob2910 Posts: 218
edited March 2011 in MTB general
How bigger drop that lands on concrete would it take to brake the frame on a XC hardtail (excluding the wheels braking or the rider braking :D) Has anyone out-there broken a xc bike in a jump or drop

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Absolutely impossible to say. A light, smooth rider, on a decent XC bike would probably fair better than a fat oaf on a much burlier bike. There were pics floating around on Weight Weenies of a guy doing trials (6-8ft to flat drops) on a 17lb carbon hardtail.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I think the CEN tests require something like a 9G force through the cranks, although I'm not sure where I heard that or if that's only for bigger bikes...

Either way, that's going to do a number on your legs before the bike.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have seen a lad on a budget Cube xc bike riding 6 foot drops on a freeride/DH trail with no problem, he must have done it 10-15 times before screwing the landing, face planting then standing up, passing out & falling over the next drop straight on his face again. He was a bit messy but his light weight xc bike was fine.
    I have rode 4-5 foot drops on my specialized hardrock & other than a trashed rear hub the bike took it well.
    Getting the landing right will save the frame a lot of stress, speed is your friend :D XC bike geometry doesn't help when you do get the landing wrong. :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited February 2011
    jacob2910 wrote:
    Has anyone out-there broken a xc bike in a jump or drop
    Yes. several times.
  • jacob2910 wrote:
    Has anyone out-there broken a xc bike in a jump or drop
    Yes. several times.
    :shock: go on .....
  • Anonymous
    Nothinig too big, just dropping a 4 or 5 foot stair set to flat.
    It's not what an XC bike is made for, but at the time it's all I could get, since DH bikes were still a complete rarity, and were WAAAY beyond what I could afford. And probably not much stronger :lol:
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Never done it, but I've seen a lot of broken XC frames, because an average kid can't afford a 1k bike.

They usually snap at the headtube, but not like instantly, just over time a crack appears
    which grows larger and larger. So far my frame holds up fine on the 4-5ft drops, but it's not
    like I do them very often, where other guys ruined 4 or 5 frames like mine in a few months.
    I can continue but who's gonna read it...

Btw, here's the mate's Kona Firemountain 2001. Broken after 9 years of abuse, now it has
    a welded plate on both sides because the down tube snapped too later on, and it's still taking beating.
    p3pb5424119.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Mine all broke at the seatstay/BB join. But I was landing trials style on the back wheel.
  • what would it take to break my boardman :shock:
  • :shock: :shock: but he is on a dual crown downhill full sus bike
  • xtreem
    Hey, you wanted to break you Boardman or take a huge drop on DH bike?
    What ever you do just film it. :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    There are many ways to do it. Crash in to a tree/wall/cow. Try riding a freeride or downhill trail fast and badly. Land jumps/drops badly. Get hit by a car.
    Drops won't break it unless you land them badly. I can ride my Specialized Hardrock hard enough to get the frame & forks flexing badly and & regularly hit 4 fott drops & jumps but I'm pretty confident that unless I do something stupid it won't break.
    Here is an alternative idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJVI2KZA88
  • WOW the stick goes right into the frame :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • bike-a-swan
    German man in 'metal resists saw better than plastic' shock!
  • rockmonkeysc

Amazing video. Very scientific test, it's surprising how often my bike comes in to contact with angle grinders when I'm out for a ride, it's becoming a real problem :D
    Awesome background music :lol:

This dude obviously knows very little about his chosen subject. Jumping on the chain stays is irrelavent because they are designed to be strong when there is a wheel bolted between them and they don't need to be that strong under loads from the side. Dropping a heavy weight on it is also un-realistic and would just prove which one is likely to survive best when hit by a car. And what the fook does the angle grinder proove?
    Did enjoy hearing a bit of dancing queen though :)
  • bike-a-swan
    And what the fook does the angle grinder proove?

I think that's the next 'gnarr' addition they're making to north shore- just leaving the power tools switched on and lying around when they've finished
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • Nothinig too big, just dropping a 4 or 5 foot stair set to flat.
    It's not what an XC bike is made for..:

I've broken BMXs doing similar stuff, and seen others broken too. These were cheap bikes years ago mind.. The thing with riding street, dropping 4 or 5 foot onto flat concrete makes for a big impact - unless you're a very good rider unlike myself. However, I've managed 7 or 8 foot to flat on the same bike without problems.

I think for most people, if you're doing that kind of thing on the trail, then you probably didn't buy a lightweight XC bike in the first place. And it's quite rare you come across a big drop to flat on trails anyway. Especially that kind of size!

But it's like anything. Done right, I'm sure the vast majority of bikes will stand up to just as much as your body will take. Done wrong...it doesn't always take much.
  • Anonymous
    Nothinig too big, just dropping a 4 or 5 foot stair set to flat.
    It's not what an XC bike is made for..:

I've broken BMXs doing similar stuff, and seen others broken too. These were cheap bikes years ago mind.. The thing with riding street, dropping 4 or 5 foot onto flat concrete makes for a big impact - unless you're a very good rider unlike myself. However, I've managed 7 or 8 foot to flat on the same bike without problems.

I think for most people, if you're doing that kind of thing on the trail, then you probably didn't buy a lightweight XC bike in the first place. And it's quite rare you come across a big drop to flat on trails anyway. Especially that kind of size!

But it's like anything. Done right, I'm sure the vast majority of bikes will stand up to just as much as your body will take. Done wrong...it doesn't always take much.
    Most bikes will be fine with it, if done properly, these days, but like I said, there was pretty much only opne kind of bike available in my price range back then.
    Even though I was careful to land the drops as smooth as possible, so that there was no chainslap noise in most cases even, the frames did eventually give in.
  • xtreem
    This was a perfect jump and landing.
    :shock:
    2ft drop fail. :lol:

WARNING!
    Angle grinders on trail. :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many frames that suddenly fail when riding off a kerb are already damaged.

All frames have some degree of excess safety built in, but it goes without saying an AM bike will have a bigger safety margin for clumsy mistakes than a race XC bike.

Biggest drop I have seen was Martyn Ashton - 16ft to flat on a fully rigid trialds bike! It survived. He nearly didn't.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Many frames that suddenly fail when riding off a kerb are already damaged.

All frames have some degree of excess safety built in, but it goes without saying an AM bike will have a bigger safety margin for clumsy mistakes than a race XC bike.

Biggest drop I have seen was Martyn Ashton - 16ft to flat on a fully rigid trialds bike! It survived. He nearly didn't.
    That's cause he was on sand though, it made the bike behave verry oddly.

I reckon Danny Megaskills drop is bigger at 4:50