Boonen might not quite be the force he was...

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,032
edited February 2011 in Pro race
I took a few looks at Boonen's various sporza interviews, and the one that stood out was the following...

When asked "what do you secrectly dream of..." in the context of winning a classic, perhaps MS-R, Boonen responded with "retirement", and then went on to say how it comes up surprisingly quickly and it's something he's thinking about.

I think the press' and Levefre's mantra that the time off has given Boonen renewed ambition might be a bit off the mark and wishful thinking.

Seems to me like he's, at best, wanting to give it a couple more good goes. I think he finds the classics preparation mentally pretty tough (hence the err, mood enhancements...), and I think he was properly humbled for the first time last year on the Muur. He's not a guy who seems to take defeat well, especially like that.

It's a shame, but I don't think his heart is in racing as much as it was. Perhaps he's looking for a good legacy to end on, rather than drawing it out Coppi or Bartali style for the love of the sport...

Comments

• Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    He was only beaten by a superhuman Cancellara at Flanders last year so don't think he should be too tough on himself. Think he'll be there or thereabouts at Flanders again this year.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Didn't he say after his first victory at the Ronde that he wanted to retire when he was 30?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Didn't he say after his first victory at the Ronde that he wanted to retire when he was 30?

I think he said a few things that year he regretted, but I don't think anyone took him seriously on that one.

He certainly feels the strain of competition more than most.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    It's not a hard and fast rule, but when sportsmen start 'dreaming' about retirement, they have a tendency to decline quite quickly, particularly if their already on their last big pay day.

If hope this isn't the case with Tom, but he has seemed under motivated post-classics in recent years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

If hope this isn't the case with Tom, but he has seemed under motivated post-classics in recent years.

Last year he was carrying an injury, wasn't he? I mean, he took 2nd in MSR and Flanders, and 5'th in Roubaix.

Year before he had his "personal" (aka livin' the dream) problems....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    edited February 2011
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Last year he was carrying an injury, wasn't he? I mean, he took 2nd in MSR and Flanders, and 5'th in Roubaix.

Maybe I was being harsh, and I was only thinking of races after April. I was particularly thinking of the year (2009?) when he got a court ruling to get into the TdF and then didn't really seem to take part. If Cancellara does the same to him again in PR and RVV, I can see him losing interest completely.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

...and that 5th place in Roubaix should be viewed in the context that he single-handedly tried to chase down FC for the last 50km and others took advantage of that exhaustion in the finale/sprint. He was the second-best rider in late March/early April, but was beaten by a fine rider at the very very top of his game. It may well be that FC never finds that kind of form again and this year, Garmin-Cervelo will surely gang-up and cover any trademark FC solo attacks, given their strength in depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hushovd win P-R and Haussler RVV.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2011
    Indeed. Quick-Step are not going to be a dominating force in either Roubaix or Flanders.

Expect to see maybe 2 or at best 3 riders post Arenberg from Quick-Step left in the group that matters. I.e. Steegmans, Boonen, and perhaps Chavanel.

There's a chance that Boonen can capitalise on having a big team to control things (cervelo-garmin) - rather than having to shake the group apart himself which is what ultimately undid him tactically in Roubaix.

I'm expecting better things from Steegmans this year.

I think he came up with a quote which went along the line of "having been away from Quick-Step I realised things there aren't actually that bad..."
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    It will also be intersting to see how Devolder rides with the weight of expectation on him at Vacansoleil. Personally, I don''t think he gets the credit he deserves as a two-time winner or Flanders and if he does well this year, it will put to bed the (unfair) view that he only won, cos all the other big-guns were 'marked' by Boonen.
  • rick_chasey
    It will also be intersting to see how Devolder rides with the weight of expectation on him at Vacansoleil. Personally, I don''t think he gets the credit he deserves as a two-time winner or Flanders and if he does well this year, it will put to bed the (unfair) view that he only won, cos all the other big-guns were 'marked' by Boonen.

Leukemans is the rider who stands most to gain from Devolder being at Vaconsolei. Even more than Devolder...