< 600 miles and I get 5 punctures...

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Michelin Speedium 2, what a load of sh*t.

The puncture ratio says it all really. First time I punctured was about 50 miles after using them for the first time - these things happen so I thought nothing of it. Next was after about 300, then I got 3 in quick succession, 450, about 475, then about 550... enough is enough, these tyres are now in the bin. These are the worst tyres I've ever used. I never expected them to be great but they should have been a lot better than this. Regardless of their weakness to punctures the grip is lacking in anything but dry conditions which doesn't inspire any confidence.

One lesson I've learnt from this - "buy cheap, buy twice".
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'm having similar issues with Michelin Krylions, despite the positive experience of others with the tyres. I've fixed more punctures over the last month than I did all of last year running Continental GP 4 Seasons. Will pay the extra cost next time I think.
  • Would you like to try a pair of lightly used Serfas Seca RS? They're blue and going cheap. :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I used hardshells thus I now ride over the crushed souls of my SCR victims PF free for over 15 months now.

Previously 50+ visits
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I still swear by Gatorskins. I swap to any other tyre (including the Bontrager Hardshells) & I'm remind.ed just how good they are.

From a previous thread on this topic, it seems as though different tyres work for the different hazards on your route. For me it seems to be sharp stones - no thorns. Whatever, I'm sticking with Gatorskins
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The biggest change I made was avoiding cyclepaths.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've changed to a pair of 25mm Conti Supersport Plus (180tpi) with the layer of puncture protection. Went for a ride on them yesterday and they're very unforgiving - the layer of puncture protection and reinforced sidewalls really take away any natural give in the tyre. They should be good for 5000+ (puncture free?) miles though... touch wood!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-city-tyre/

All winter, roads, cobbles, cycle paths, tow paths and a little bit of mud and dirt, utterly dependable, I've even stopped carrying a repair kit/pump.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-city-tyre/

All winter, roads, cobbles, cycle paths, tow paths and a little bit of mud and dirt, utterly dependable, I've even stopped carrying a repair kit/pump.

I wouldn't say that too loudly if I were you. 'She' could be listening in.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cafewanda wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-city-tyre/

I wouldn't say that too loudly if I were you. 'She' could be listening in.

Yeah, brave words.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    One lesson I've learnt from this - "buy cheap, buy twice".
    Not true.
    I use Vittoria Zaffiros for my London commuting.
    I go months without a puncture, then I get two punctures in a week, maybe three.
    I don't then blame the tyres.
    Michelin Speedium 2, what a load of sh*t
    I know nothing about the Michelin Speedium 2's so you may be right on that part.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I used Bontrager Race X Light AC's for commuting, not the greatest but only a few punctures so far. I do make sure I keep my tyres at 120 psi min and that seems to keep the fairy at bay. I don't look after then particularly well, remove flints on a regular basis or anything like that and I only replace them when I can feel they're getting squared off through over use. Who knows why some of us seem to attract more attention from a certain female, but I'm sure I'm due a run of flats now!!!!
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2