Road Bike sizing for a 5'9'' male...

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
OK, lets get the good advice out of the way first/

Try the bike for size, take it for a test ride, get a proper fitting.

Now thats out of the way... the question.

Road bikes with 55cm/56cm/Large frames are usually indicated as being for 5'9'' - 6'0''
Road bikes with 53cm/54cm/Medium frames are usually indicated as being for 5'6''- 5'9''

What should a 5'9' rider buy? Is there any advantage to going for either the bigger or smaller size?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• TBH it depends on the geometry of the frame in question and your body dimensions

I tried several frames of the same "size" (52cm) and the top tube measurements varied by as much as 15mm and the headtube by 10mm or more, so you can find that a given size in one frame will overlap with a bigger/smaller size frame from another range.

Also, it would depend whether you are Mr Average or short/long arms/legs (delete as appropriate) and how you like a bike to ride (assuming the same frame and reach: larger frame = shorter stem = more twitchy steering while smaller frame = longer stem = softer steering)

Overall, you need to match you with the bike, but if trying is out of the question I'd probably use the sizing guide at Competitive Cyclist to give you a starting point and set of measurements.
  • tailwindhome
    markshaw77 wrote:
    (assuming the same frame and reach: larger frame = shorter stem = more twitchy steering while smaller frame = longer stem = softer steering.

This is the sort of advice I was looking for

Oh and thanks for the link
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    ..... will also vary from brand to brand.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I found the top tube length was the most important for me. A 54cm frame meant I was hunched and was well over the front wheel. A 56cm frame had the correct reach. (To clarify, also 5'9)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm 5'9" and I ride a size 51.

I love it and I think it fits like a glove.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • To be riding a 51cm bike and you are 5'9" I am guessing it must be a compact frame so it has a sloping top tube?

I am 5'9" and my 56cm bike is suitable because I like a more upright (comfortable) ride if I wanted a flatter back/racing angle I would ride a 54cm which would raise the saddle with respect to the bars.

But as everyone has said each manufacturer seems to use different sizing rules.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I'm 5' 9" and ride a 54 allez. I'm quite short in the leg (about 30.5" inside leg) and have a bit of problem in respect of standover height.

The LBS reckoned a 52 was right (they didn't have a 54 in stock) though it felt as though I was too far over the front wheel. I took a chance and bought a pretty much unused 54 from ebay - and I reckon it fits very well. It feels better than the 52 did to me.

As I made my own mind up I have absolutely nobody to blame but myself if it's wrong though.

James
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Pigtail wrote:
    I'm 5' 9" and ride a 54 allez. I'm quite short in the leg (about 30.5" inside leg) and have a bit of problem in respect of standover height.

The LBS reckoned a 52 was right (they didn't have a 54 in stock) though it felt as though I was too far over the front wheel. I took a chance and bought a pretty much unused 54 from ebay - and I reckon it fits very well. It feels better than the 52 did to me.

As I made my own mind up I have absolutely nobody to blame but myself if it's wrong though.

James

Sounds like James AKA Pigtail is a Scottish me - same problem, am 5'9" and even shorter in the leg! so it's a 54cm for me (Cannondale) (having said that, I've also got a 56cm Sirrus bought 2nd hand when I got back into cycling, which is just about OK)

Try before you buy. And go to a good bike shop.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • While I agree that toptube length is the most important bit, I found the opposite to the guys above. I'm just shy of 5'11 and feel overstretched on a 56cm when riding on the hoods (my preferred commuting position). I feel a little scrunched up on the drops on my 54cm, but I only ever go down onto them for short bursts. I reckon I could even get away with a 53 for commuting. I do have fairly sloping shoulders so perhaps that plays a part. The bottom line: try for yourself.
  • Double post - forum's fault
  • tailwindhome
    For the moment it's academic

I had my eye on a used Bianchi Infinito frame on Ebay from Epic Cycles (55cm)

£977 it went for + postage

Thats just crazy

Hargroves had them with 105 for 1599 in the sale
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    For the moment it's academic

I had my eye on a used Bianchi Infinito frame on Ebay from Epic Cycles (55cm)

£977 it went for + postage

Thats just crazy

Hargroves had them with 105 for 1599 in the sale

Bet the seller was pleased though. Auctions make people do silly things.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wheelie Bin
    Wheelie Bin Posts: 162
    It might be too late to contribute, but I think the most important measurement when comparing 'adjacent' frame sizes is head tube length.

You can adjust the seat height and you can adjust reach (although personally I'd only go from 90-110mm for a stem on a 55-57cm bike). You can't adjust the head tube - and there's a limit to the extent that you can use spacers, depending on the steerer tube length and aesthetics.

I was between a 55 and 57 on a Bianchi Infinito and to get the right bar height, rather than going with the 55 and a load of steerer tube spacers (which I think looks goofy), I chose the 57, with the bars just one small spacer over the headset. Apart from anything - it just looks right.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.