Cassette/Chain replacement

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I bought the Scott last year, around April/May and a few months later replaced the chain because it was stated that it was the reason the bike was creaking (turned out the rear hub needed a regrease...). Anyhoo everything's been fine up until a couple of weeks ago when the chain started skipping - I had got back from a damp ride put the bike in the kitchen, had a shower and promptly forgot about cleaning the chain etc. Few days later the chain had obviously gone a bit 'meh' with rust and I spent an hour cleaning it. After cleaning and setting up the gears the jumping was pretty severe, soon as any pressure is put on to move off it jumps, then skips, making me sometimes nearly fall off.

Question is, it the rust that caused this? Should I go ahead and just replace the whole cassette and chain together? Chainset looks fine, and at 140 quid for a similar 105 chainset I just can't do it at the moment. To be frank I will likely replace the cassette and chain anyway, hopign I can get awya with not buying a new chainset or chainrings.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Chainsets last for yonks compared to cassettes and chains. Would be surprised if your skipping chain is down to the corrosion - may I ask, what did you clean the chain and cassette with?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • edjo
    edjo Posts: 50
    sounds like a stiff link in the chain. over-lubricate the chain on the roller of every link, back pedal slowly for 30 crank revolutions, wipe excess from outside and leave overnight with newspaper underneath for any lubricant drips from the chain. following day, check that all the links are moving and that the rollers on each link are rotating easily with your fingers. if you're lucky, this will solve the issue...if not, there's some other issue that needs more information.
    do note that WD40 is not for this job as it's not a lubricant - use a decent lubricant, 3 in 1 will work as a last resort.