Saddlepack for commuting - how much stuff fits in them?

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi

Does anyone use a mid-sized saddlepack for commuting as an alternative to a backpack or rack/panniers? My proposed commute is too far for backpack and I have no fittings for and don't want the weight of a rack, so I'm looking at something like the Carradice SQR Glentress or Topeak Dynapack, but as no-one seems to stock them round here I'm not sure exactly how big they are or how much stuff one can get into them. I'll be looking at carrying pump, wallet, phone, spare tube, levers, rolled-up shirt, underwear and possibly a packable rain jacket. Not sure whether I can get away with all that in a 5L bag or whether I should go for something larger like a Dynapack DX (quite a lot more expensive). I'll be leaving shoes and trousers at work during the week.

Thoughts/advice much appreciated.
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    In the summer when I am not carrying a coat and I have no need for shopping that day I have a micro seat pack with a puncture repair kit in it

The rest of the time I use a 23 Litre Carradice Super C Saddle bag on an SQR block or a Carradice SQR Tour

Both my commuting bikes ( and my audax bike too ) have SQR blocks on them so the bags can be swapped about

You might just about cram the stuff you describe into a 5 Litre saddlepack, but I doubt it
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hi

Does anyone use a mid-sized saddlepack for commuting as an alternative to a backpack or rack/panniers? My proposed commute is too far for backpack and I have no fittings for and don't want the weight of a rack, so I'm looking at something like the Carradice SQR Glentress or Topeak Dynapack, but as no-one seems to stock them round here I'm not sure exactly how big they are or how much stuff one can get into them. I'll be looking at carrying pump, wallet, phone, spare tube, levers, rolled-up shirt, underwear and possibly a packable rain jacket. Not sure whether I can get away with all that in a 5L bag or whether I should go for something larger like a Dynapack DX (quite a lot more expensive). I'll be leaving shoes and trousers at work during the week.

Thoughts/advice much appreciated.

I have a Carradice SQR Slim for my normal commute. Fits folded shirt and trousers, underwear, pump, spare, levers, lunch, shoes, wallet, keys mobile with a little spare space. Have a Carradice Glentress too which I tend to use when heading over to friends or a non lycra clad pub with a spare pair of jeans etc.

I reckon the Glentress should fit just about what you need on a good day. I'll take a look when I get home and see about taking a pic or two if you like?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • What do you wear on the bike and what do you carry that requires a pannier, backpack or saddle bag ?

My multi-tool, levers, tube and puncture repair kit go in my BBB "tools and tubes" container which goes in the bottle cage.

I carry some shirts, pants and socks into work on a monday morning and bring home the same on monday evening.
    Thats just one day that requires a backpack (Deuter)

The other four days I don't need a bag so I put....
    wallet, work phone and smartphone in one jersey pocket.
    Keys, remote access tokens and pager in another.
    Castelli rolled up windproof jacket and overshoes in the third jersey pocket.
  • fatherted, wanted to get away without a backpack day at all if possible. I am considering the whole 'stuff everything into a jersey' technique and also have a much smaller saddlebag already that just fits levers/tube/rain jacket, but I'd want a little more flexibility and be able to carry change of underwear and a rolled up formal shirt to work daily without exposing it to the elements or creasing it beyond acceptable levels.

dhope, thanks, I looked at the Slim, thought I could get away with something a little smaller because I'll be leaving shoes at work but I guess it may be nice to have the option of taking them with me. How do you find riding with it? Does it sway much or affect the handling at all? It would be fantastic if you could have a go at packing similar stuff into the Glentress and letting me know if it's feasible or not. Thanks!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Slim doesn't move around at all and doesn't seem to affect handling when it's fairly lightly packed. On the occasions when I head to the shops and end up sticking 10kg of stuff in there then I can feel it, but with a trousers, shirt, lunch plus a few other little bits then it's fine.
    I'll look at the Glentress and report back. If you have two bikes get one of each, as the mounting bracket things are the same. That's what I did so I have one on the roadie and one on the fixed and can switch out as required.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo