Not another tyre thread

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm going to need new tyres soon.

Currently have All Condition Armadillos 700 x 28. I'm hapy with them apart from one mishap.

What should I replace with and a what size. I could get 23 & 25 on the bike wheels no problem or indeed somthing bigger. Is my thought process 25 is quicker than 28 and 23 quicker than 25 due to lower rolling resitistance correct? Or is it simply a matter of weight? Or do they make no difference to seed at all?

I could put SMP on, but are they over kill for summer, would I be better with something thinner, lighter and slicker in the summer, then put SMP on in the winter?

Should this be a straight choice between All Condition Armadillos, SMP, and Conti Gator Skins for comutting tyres or should I look for something else?

Also need to be able pump up hard as there is a lot of weight on the bike!
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you want SMPs but for summer then look at Schwalbe Durano Plus, the slick 23mm version of the SMP, or you can also get a Durano and Durano S which are lighter and with less protection, but still very, very good.

Fatter tyres offer more comfort, but they are slower due to weight and rolling resistance.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    If you want SMPs but for summer then look at Schwalbe Durano Plus, the slick 23mm version of the SMP, or you can also get a Durano and Durano S which are lighter and with less protection, but still very, very good.

Fatter tyres offer more comfort, but they are slower due to weight and rolling resistance.
    +1

Durano Plus also come in 25mm, if that is useful info for the OP. That's what is on my Tricross. Durano Plus do not have as thick a plastic smartguard (although the only puncture I have suffered would have taken out a Marathon Plus, too), but are (much) less effort to accelerate on than Marathon Plus.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Durano plus is only tyre I use now, as it's the best and most awesome ;)

Stock levels in 25mm seem a bit low right now though, I'm trying to get hold of some more for another bikey :evil:
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Have you looked at the Conti Supersport Plus? Come in 23 or 25 mm (folding) and are a hard-wearing city(ish) tyre with a layer of puncture protection similar to the Durano Plus but can be found for about £16 or £17 each.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • sketchley
    Thanks.

Another question. Wire Beed vs Folding? Pro and Cons? Apart from obivous that folding tyre takes up less room.
    --
    Chris

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    edited February 2011
    Sketchley wrote:
    Thanks.

Another question. Wire Beed vs Folding? Pro and Cons? Apart from obivous that folding tyre takes up less room.

They're also a lot easier to fit, ergo far less hassle if/when you get a puncture. This is just my experience of them vs wired tyres.

They're also lighter - less spinning weight...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

At the risk of being boring (I know) fatter tyres don't necessarily have a higher rolling resistance. In fact, for identical tyre pressures, a 28 will have lower rolling resistance than the equivalent 25 (to do with the shape of the contact area). Now generally you will be ABLE to inflate a 25 to a higher pressure than a 28 and this could give you a rolling resistance advantage (at the cost of comfort). The thing is, for commuting, I've found that 90-100 psi is optimal and a decent 28 can be inflated to this level... THe advantage of a 23 or 25 would then only be weight (and I suppose drag).

I did warn you...

J
  • sketchley
    @Jedster

Thanks, at the risk of continued boredem, :D what happens if you add weight of rider in to the equation (18stone)? The weight of the tyre between 25 and 28 will not make much difference, 100g or so to 112kg of rider isn't much. But is the heavier rider better with small tyre as it can be inflated higher and therefore retain tyre shape better or the thicker one?
    --
    Chris

• Don't forget that the additional mass in the tyre is some 14 inches or so from the axle you are rotating it (relatively rapidly) around. IIRC this is what will make a difference in the force required. I don't think it is as straight forward as just the additional 100g or so mass of the tyre being carried along.

No doubt the professional engineers and double maths students will be along soon to provide any correction or fuller explanation ...
  • Have to add some negativity to the Durano Plus love in... :(

Having used Marathon plus on my hybrid for a year and a but commuting into London (without a single puncture) I went for 700 x 23C Durano plus when I got a road bike. FItted in August and removed in Dec after a succession of punctures. The tyres were cut to ribbons.

After seeking advice I went for Vittorio Rubina Pro's as a replacement. First puncture on those this evening... :(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Have to add some negativity to the Durano Plus love in... :(

Having used Marathon plus on my hybrid for a year and a but commuting into London (without a single puncture) I went for 700 x 23C Durano plus when I got a road bike. FItted in August and removed in Dec after a succession of punctures. The tyres were cut to ribbons.

After seeking advice I went for Vittorio Rubina Pro's as a replacement. First puncture on those this evening... :(

Did you clear out all the sharp material from the tyre after the first puncture? Sometimes I've pulled what seems to be enough glass to reglaze the East window of York Minster from my tyres - all future punctures waiting to happen......

25mm seems to be the sensible compromise. Assuming nobody is daft enough to go less than 23mm, I can't belive that the extra 2mm will make that much difference weight wise and people seem to reckon the comfort is much better. I get on with both mind. But maybe that's down to being light.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ultremo for the road bike and Racing Ralph for the MTB. Ultremos look the part put they seem to wearing fast.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    xgfn
  • sketchley
    I appear to be down to two choice

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ult ... road-tyre/ @ £18.99 700 x 25

or

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano ... road-tyre/ @ £29.99 700 x 25

Is the durano worth the extra £11?

Any recomendation on tubes?
    --
    Chris

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    The durano still seems out of stock in many places. CRC were meant to have them in today, but they immediately went out of stock. GRrrr.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Just started ageing some tubulars. Not being totally authentic coz I'm not storing them in a belgian basement but, hey, baby steps...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides