My bad experience. very boring but any advice?

TowerRider
TowerRider Posts: 430
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Losing confidence - which is bad when I went out trying to gain it!

I hadn't been on the bike in ages, I don't seem to go on short rides. I always seem to aim for 4 hours min.
I went out on Tuesday and it was chucking it down and extremly windy.
The surface was basically a stream with either clay or rocks plus farmers tyre marks in boggy surface. Moors.
Plus point was that the new clothes seemed to work and I felt dry other than coat to small.
I now it sounds daft but how do you pedal? Different up hill to flat or down? I was looking at what I do and I appear to push down on front stoke and as my leg drops I push back on my heel and bring pedal around to the top. It feels ok and my thighs seem to be doing the work - thought it would be calfs. I just struggle when I try to stand up on a hill climb, the weight seems correct as I feel the bike grip/move more but I can't stay stood up for longer than approx 20 full strokes. Any advice?
With the surface I was really struggling although leaning over the bars really helped. I found it much easier to ride through the 'stream', the tyres obviously kept free of mud. I have Spec Fast Trax tyres and wondered if I would notice a big difference with i.e. Maxis High rollers that are mentioned often. I ask this because of the problems climbing and on the decent I really struggled to actually get any speed up.
I actually videoed the ride and on playback it is embarrassing to watch LOL!

Comments

• stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    You could try bar ends? Might seem a bit 80's but they give you some more positions if you're struggling with the hils?
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    but I can't stay stood up for longer than approx 20 full strokes
    With the surface I was really struggling

do you mean you get tired standing up? so do i: unless its short bursts i prefer to sit and spin on the ups if the surface allows.

the reason being that keeping traction while standing up takes alot of control and effort: if you just stomp the rear wheel will slip. (especially with fast tracks, they have their place but mud and loose soil aint it).
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    If the surface is bad it's going to be hard work, there is no getting away from it. Energy sapping muddy conditions are there to make summer riding easier and more fun... :wink:

Tyres will help, but most of us will ride on varying surfaces on each ride so you're never going to aget it right all the time even if you have a complete selection in your locker. I have a front IRC Mudmad (don't think they make them anymore), I love it for muddy conditions and had it fitted a few weeks back when heading out for a longish ride. Unfortunately for me the ground didn't thaw and the tyre was a nightmare.

I have some highrollers which I love in the summer, but wouldn't fit them on muddy days.

I hardly ever stand when climbing, just drop it down and spin.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets