Spoke ripped through rim

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
edited February 2011 in The workshop
I have a DT Swiss rear wheel (not sure which type, but cost around £150) which is around 10 months old. Yesterday, one of the spokes completely ripped through the rim leaving a large hole and cracks. On closer inspection I have found the rim is cracked near another spoke. This has nevered happened to me before. In terms of use, I might have expected, but been a little disappointed, if a spoke had gone at this age, but I definitely wasn't expecting the rim to break.

Does this sound like I should have a case on a warranty?

I took it to my LBS who were particularly unhelpful. They mentioned the wheel was dirty and things like that. They have agreed to let the mechanic look at it though. I would just be grateful for any opinions on this.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I would try for a replacement under warranty. DT Swiss are normally a very reliable brand.

Is it a 700c or MTB wheel? If MTB and you are riding it with slicks inflated to the top end of the scale, consider easing off on pressure a little to give a bit of cushion.
  • TheBigBean
    Thanks for the reply. It is 700cc road wheel with slicks. I was running at 120 pressure which I would have hoped it could handle.

I will try under warranty, but if my LBS is not willing is there another way?
  • Gussio
    So long as the wheel has not been inexpertly trued since it was bought (i.e. spokes not overtightened) and you have proof of purchase within the last 12mths, then I would say that you have a reasonable case for a replacement wheel. If you bought the wheel from your LBS, I am sure that someone on here will confirm what your rights are.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    First question is:
    1. Was there a warranty?

If Yes:
    what are the terms of the warranty - you may or may not be entitled to a replacement

if No:
    You are reliant on the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (I think it is). This provides inter alia that goods should be of satisfactory quality The presumption is that in 1st six months from purchase burden is on retailer to prove it was . After this its up to consumer to prtove it was not of satisfactory quality at the time of purchase

You would therefore need to prove wheel had an inherent fault - not easy. You would need to show cracks to rim had not been caused by for example hitting potholes, misuse etc.

I am not sure you can easily overcome these problems- but that is no reason not to try
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    dt swiss cheese rims are softer than a marshmallow covered in chick feathers. none of the top wheel builders use them.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • TheBigBean
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

spen666 - . I suppose there is no formal warranty, so it sounds like I will be relying on goodwill. Previously I knew all the staff in my LBS, but they have all changed, so it is harder to convince them that I haven't done anything reckless. I'm also worried that in order to ride the bike today I had to tighten the two neighbouring spokes a lot (to get some shape back) and I don't want that used as evidence of overtightening!!

pastey_boy - what do you recommend then? I used to use Mavic rims, but everyone seemed to think they have gone downhill.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

spen666 - . I suppose there is no formal warranty, so it sounds like I will be relying on goodwill.
    don't forget your legal rights under SoG Act as stated above.
    Previously I knew all the staff in my LBS, but they have all changed, so it is harder to convince them that I haven't done anything reckless. I'm also worried that in order to ride the bike today I had to tighten the two neighbouring spokes a lot (to get some shape back) and I don't want that used as evidence of overtightening!!

pastey_boy - what do you recommend then? I used to use Mavic rims, but everyone seemed to think they have gone downhill.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    ambrosio seem very good rims and both the excellence and excellight rims are well thought of and used by those in the know. for a bit more weight and bomb proof reliability the excursion and evolution are superb.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Gussio
    Can't go wrong with Mavic Open Pros.
  • +1 Open Pro's, good rims and nice to build
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Warranty terms for Rims from the DT Swiss website:

http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/e96cbc3c-aa53-49da-9d45-ee4927296357/Datasheet.aspx

"The purchaser has the right to claims under the guarantee as
    covered by general law, against the sales contract partner (retailer). In
    addition to the general guarantee required by law, DT Swiss AG with
    Head Office in Biel/Switzerland, guarantees the DT Swiss rim for two
    years (24 months) from the date of purchase."
  • TheBigBean
    I must say that this forum and its contributors really are fantastic. So many helpful replies for which I am very grateful.

I hadn't thought to check the warranty on the DT Swiss website, but it clearly states two years, so that gives me quite a lot of hope.

It sounds like the Mavic Open Pro with my DT Swiss spokes and 105 hub might work quite nicely. I will also check out Ambrosio, but in the mean time I'm hoping that the mechanic in my LBS supports my view when he returns from wherever he is.
  • TheBigBean
    Aaaaaahh, going off topic now to a rant - apologies. Just phoned LBS again and the guy pointed out that my chain and cassette are quite worn. Yes, they are more than two years old, I know that, what does that have to do with my 10 month old rim? It's sad how nice shops go downhill.

He's going to phone me back.
  • TheBigBean
    To complete the story.... supplier told LBS it would be no problem to replace the rim, but would take two weeks. LBS offered Mavic Open Pro as a replacement now. Thanks to the advice above I accepted this even though I think the Open Pro is probably a cheaper rim. I'm holding off the celebrations until I get the bike back!
  • Gussio
    Good end to the story - well done for persevering. I would be more than happy with the Open Pro as a replacement. You might even get a new set of spokes thrown in if the old spokes are the wrong length.

If it isn't taking the p1ss, ask them to use a 36h rim and specifiy whether you want it in black or silver.
  • TheBigBean
    Well, it is a slightly awkward situation as the wheel I bought from the LBS was built by DT Swiss. Given that the fault is with DT Swiss I think it is very reasonable of the LBS to offer the free labour in building the wheel. Foolishly, I was so happy with the outcome that I offered to cover any new spokes required. I was thinking seeing as I had wrapped the one that came through around the neighbouring spoke I could rise to the £1.... I hadn't considered I might need a whole set though!!!! Anyway, I'll be happy with any colour rim as long it doesn't have a large crack in it.