medium-term storage in damp conditions

tsenior
tsenior Posts: 664
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i had a pretty bad water leak recently, also have fitted a new cellar door which has good seals all round; net result is that the cellar is DAMP, condensation beading on all surfaces.

now i'm going to knock a couple of holes in the walls and fit some aribricks this w/e but given the house construction its probably going to take untill the end of summer to dry out

am i likley to do any harm to the bikes in the meantime?

Comments

• If they're steel - they'll rust.

Get a space heater down there to help dry it out or rent an industrial dehumidifyer.

it's not just the bikes you have to worry about, but the fabric of the building itself - this is how dry rot starts...
  • tsenior
    yeah, i have a surveyor coming over to check things out, the leak was going for 4 weeks before it became apparant and it took another 2 weeks to track it down and deal with it.

Its not so much dry rot (its a masonry structure and the leak was below the DPC) but the potential for washing out fines and mortar aound the foundations that concerns me :shock:

one of the bikes is steel framed i will dump that at work untill things improve, what do we think about the alu ones?
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I would move all of the bikes out of there as it's not going to be good for chains, bearings, shocks, brakes etc etc. And you well get mould on your saddles, grips and tyres.

There is just something about a damp environment which seems to affect things worse than actually being outside.
  • tsenior
    bearings, shocks, chain, even cables all have some form of grease or lube to protect them though?

anyway it is bad down therer so i'm not going to chance it, 1 to work, 1 to the kitchen, 1 in peices to the cupbord under the stairs.

the mrs will be thrilled :lol: