£1400 HT just looks wrong!

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited February 2011 in MTB general

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why? its a 29er that why the stem is that way round.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Mark909 wrote:
    Would you want to ride this bike on tight turning single track as advertised!?

no, for the following reasons:

1. its a hardtail
    b. it is a 29er
    iii. it is a hardtail
  • ^ :lol: what a webster :roll: :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Mark909 wrote:
    Would you want to ride this bike on tight turning single track as advertised!?

no, for the following reasons:

1. its a hardtail

Correct
    iii. it is a hardtail

Correct

It is factually proven that FS > HT
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Dont listen to the haters with more money than sense , nowt wrong with a HT.
    Although i cant help thinking that the current fixation with 29ers from bike mags reminds me of flares , brown flocked wallpaper and fondue dining ,
    ie fads that will go out of fashion and lay forgotten in the depths of time.
    until the next "big thing" of course.
    :D
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    they do seem to be the current big thing though, i wonder if they are here to stay with all of the big manufacturers getting on board
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    the problem is anyone riding a 29er who's less than 6 ft 2 tall looks like a midget on a penny-farthing.
    :lol:
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    biff55 wrote:
    the problem is anyone riding a 29er who's less than 6 ft 2 tall looks like a midget on a penny-farthing.
    precisely why as someone who is 5'6" I'm sticking with 26" wheels

they are to me what a 29er is to someone of normal height!

slainte :lol: rob
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Briggo wrote:

I put it to you, sir - riding a hardtail is up to 10% more rad, and as much as 12% more gnar. This is scientific fact. You, sir, cannot argue with the figures.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I'd like to try a 29'er, just to see what all the fuss is about... :?

But that Rocky Mountain seems V expensive.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Duffer wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

I put it to you, sir - riding a hardtail is up to 10% more rad, and as much as 12% more gnar. This is scientific fact. You, sir, cannot argue with the figures.

Those figures don't give the full impression as they were taken in a test between a dirt jump hardtail and a xc full suspension bike. Of the rad and gnar figures will be off the scale, dirt jump bikes are ridden by spotty teens with massive amounts of hormones :P
  • biff55 wrote:
    Although i cant help thinking that the current fixation with 29ers from bike mags reminds me of flares , brown flocked wallpaper and fondue dining ,

I've just re-furbed my old HT and also 'found' all my old clothing tucked away in a sports bag...(we moved house recently).
    Three months of crash-dieting and it might even fit me again - or I'll just go out looking like a day-glo sausage...
  • Rocky Mountain - Overpriced and under specced.

Rather like Kona and Norco. Bit of a theme there.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Rocky Mountain - Overpriced and under specced.

Rather like Kona and Norco. Bit of a theme there.

Dont forget Orange.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Arkady001 wrote:
    biff55 wrote:

I've just re-furbed my old HT and also 'found' all my old clothing tucked away in a sports bag...(we moved house recently).
    Three months of crash-dieting and it might even fit me again - or I'll just go out looking like a day-glo sausage...

Good thing about lycra - it stretches.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah, that stem looks wrong. It's like 120mm long by the looks of it. If I was gonna buy a HT I would be looking at other brands tbh.

Hardtails do perform amazingly (by which I mean they're fast) on smooth, twisty single track though. It's when you start hitting rocks and deep roots that you wish you had something soft at the back.
    Kona Kula custom build hardtail
    Whyte 146 Works
    Pinarello FP2
    Kona AA 1x9 rigid
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm quite intrigued by all the fuss about 29er's, but....
    biff55 wrote:

I'm 5ft 4" and would clearly look ridiculous :?

(In fact I look riciculous on most bikes, which is why I ride a 14" frame :lol: )
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    cooldad wrote:

although....bad thing about lycra....it can stretch too much!

:shock:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Nothing wrong with hardtail I have four and am very happy thank you
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • miss notax wrote:
    biff55 wrote:

(In fact I look riciculous on most bikes, which is why I ride a 14" frame :lol: )

There are reports of smaller riders getting good race results on 29ers. Think a smaller rider gains by having a greater ammount of the riders weight sitting between the wheel axles, rather than above them. It must be very good for confidence knowing how hard it is to pitch over the bars.
  • JonKula wrote:
    Yeah, that stem looks wrong. It's like 120mm long by the looks of it. If I was gonna buy a HT I would be looking at other brands tbh.

Hardtails do perform amazingly (by which I mean they're fast) on smooth, twisty single track though. It's when you start hitting rocks and deep roots that you wish you had something soft at the back.

Whats wrong with a 120mm stem, or the angle that it's set at, I run 100/110mm stem and I have it on negative rise on a hardtail, puts you firmly over the front wheel and offers more control.

Not like those mickey-mouse rigs with a 45degree rise on them :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    miss notax wrote:
    biff55 wrote:

There are reports of smaller riders getting good race results on 29ers. Think a smaller rider gains by having a greater ammount of the riders weight sitting between the wheel axles, rather than above them. It must be very good for confidence knowing how hard it is to pitch over the bars.
    I'm 5'10" on a 29er it does make me much faster than when i was on a 26" FS bike. but i really miss that bike too. horses for courses and all that.
    I like rocky mountains but that isnt as nice as this
    CBOO29RACEFRM_P2.jpg
    http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO29RACEFRM/o ... r-frm-race
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • There is one MAJOR thing wrong with this bike that would prevent it being used in the described way, it doesn't have any peddles!
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    :lol: :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I have both HT and FS and another LT HT in the WIP stage.
    As for 29'ers, following them around Cannock Chase they certainly do chew up the whoops with those oversized wheels, but I don't know if I'd ever own one. At just on 6FT the 26" wheelers suit me fine

Admittedly the top tube on the Rocky Mountain reminds me of a girlie bike.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Arkady001 wrote:
    biff55 wrote:

It stretches, but not nicely. I've learned that myself by seeing a picture of me in lycra while out riding. :O Not pretty.
  • Oh and that On-One carbon HT is nice as farking ell.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Nice frame, shame about the wheels.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    JonKula wrote:
    Aye, but it can only make you a better rider if you can hit that stuff on a hardtail! I'm a hardtail rider and proud! Though I would like a fully again some day...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5