Speed we travel at

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Are drivers complete morons or just the 65+ brigade.

I came off the cycle path into Morisons car park today, the cycle path is very good clearly signed and travels 50' of the car park, after 20' in the car park an old male fart almost walked in front of me, I said "you wouldn't have done that if I had been a car".

When I parked and got to the entrance he (with his old wifey) said "you wan t to slow down you are all the same".

I could think of nothing better to say than (I was doing about 5mph) "Had I been twenty with earings, long hair snd tatoos you wouldn't have had the B%&&s to have spoken to me".

Why are pedestrians to unaware of cyclists, I had both P7 Lenser torches on, and a flashing 3w, I was wearing a yellow jacket (high vis) and am on the large size, IS it ME.
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    peds don't show the same respect to cyclists that they afford cars

maybe they don't know how much getting hit hurts?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    JR you are a gem
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Maybe get some earrings and tattoos?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    D lock him. That'll shut his silly talk.

In a supermarket once I tutted at a youngish bloke who ran over my toes with his trolley full of junk food + baby, with his unpleasant 'partner' in close proximity. He mumbled something back and I reciprocated, and by the time I'd got in the car and started to pull away he'd decided to chase me, on foot!!! What can you do? I stopped so that he could run into the back of the car, then drove off with him still in hot pursuit shouting abuse. What a numpty fellow he must have been. :) Ha ha ha. He left his 'partner' & poor child waiting whilst he chased a GTi across a car park. Marvellous.

Not just old people are doo-lally. Young pups are too.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Clever Pun wrote:
    peds don't show the same respect to cyclists that they afford cars

maybe they don't know how much getting hit hurts?

This. Trust me, colliding with a bike isn't pretty!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter regularily uses a cycle path that runs parallel to a footpath, she sees more pedestrians on the cyclepath than on the footpath, many tut at her and even when she points out the clear cyclepath markings and where the footpath is they still seem at a total loss as to what it all means.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    25mph clearly wasn't fast enough for the chap in the silver Audi A3 that hooted me as I rode primary through roadworks in Sheen this evening. I hope that you felt daft when I rolled past you at the next set of traffic lights, you knob.
  • Gussio wrote:
    25mph clearly wasn't fast enough for the chap in the silver Audi A3 that hooted me as I rode primary through roadworks in Sheen this evening. I hope that you felt daft when I rolled past you at the next set of traffic lights, you knob.

A like button is clearly needed on this forum 8)
  • I almost hit a lollipop lady this afternoon. She was busy talking to her mate - no kids around - and she stepped out into my path from behind a car whilst looking in the opposite direction. The thing is, if I had hit her, her and her mate would have made up a story and everyone would believe their word. I'd automatically have been assumed to be the guilty party.

Gawd help the poor kids of Plaistow!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Gussio wrote:

Oh those dickheads...

Had one BMW where I was 1-2 seconds late of the lights "beeep" followed by them pulling up beside me and "having a go".... :roll:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Peds think you're too fast, cars think you're too slow. I had a couple of car horn serenades this morning. I wasn't really in the way, they just have projected body image dismorphia. Sadly they thought I was speaking foreign when I told them this so I was sadly reduced to communication by simplistic sign-language that they might understand.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Why are pedestrians to unaware of cyclists, I had both P7 Lenser torches on, and a flashing 3w, I was wearing a yellow jacket (high vis) and am on the large size, IS it ME.

All you need now is a five tone, modified air zound and you would be a dead ringer for the mother ship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind - people were inextricably drawn toward that too...
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Posted this in the commute video footage thread too. Taxi driver not quite working out correct speeds...

http://vimeo.com/19997503
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Posted this in the commute video footage thread too. Taxi driver not quite working out correct speeds...

Don't you just hate it when that happens?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I almost hit a lollipop lady this afternoon. She was busy talking to her mate - no kids around - and she stepped out into my path from behind a car whilst looking in the opposite direction. The thing is, if I had hit her, her and her mate would have made up a story and everyone would believe their word. I'd automatically have been assumed to be the guilty party.

CYCLECAM

• jds_1981 wrote:

I notice too that the MORON in the car at the lights is blocking your cycle lane

• Next time you are in a car park and see an OAPratt and their car, take a look I havew yet to see one without dents that is over six months old.

Assess the situation:

Environment
    1. Stunned Lollipop lady on ground
    2. Semi-hysterical mate staring AT stunned LLoG
    3. No witnesses

Assets
    1. 6' pole with large impact zone attached to the top of it
    2. Means of quick and silent escape (the bike you idiot)

Possible actions
    1. Attempt to reason with SHMoLLoG
    2. Use silent means of escape to avoid situation
    3. Bludgeon SHMoLLoG to death with Lollipop and finish off LLoG with same. Arrange bodies so it appears Lesbian Lollipop Lovers fell out over who gets the pole this time.

Decision tree
    1. Jelly. Nail. Ceiling.
    2. Possible, but unsatisfactory
    3. Satisfying but messy

Decision::
    Option 3.

Clear and logical analysis shows the correct action, and the voices always suggest the right thing to do......
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Assess the situation:

Environment
    1. Stunned Lollipop lady on ground
    2. Semi-hysterical mate staring AT stunned LLoG
    3. No witnesses

Assets
    1. 6' pole with large impact zone attached to the top of it
    2. Means of quick and silent escape (the bike you idiot)

Possible actions
    1. Attempt to reason with SHMoLLoG
    2. Use silent means of escape to avoid situation
    3. Bludgeon SHMoLLoG to death with Lollipop and finish off LLoG with same. Arrange bodies so it appears Lesbian Lollipop Lovers fell out over who gets the pole this time.

Decision tree
    1. Jelly. Nail. Ceiling.
    2. Possible, but unsatisfactory
    3. Satisfying but messy

Option 3.

Clear and logical analysis shows the correct action, and the voices always suggest the right thing to do......

:lol: Clearly, I wasn't thinking fast enough - I only managed to shout the eternal words ''Look before you cross!'' at them after having taken evasive action. And then pootle off with a mixture of astonishment and a curiously satisfying sense of having reminded my grandmother how to suck eggs...
  • Decision::
    Option 3.

Careful, your dark side is showing through. ;)

Mike
  • mudcovered wrote:
    Option 3.

Careful, your dark side is showing through. ;)

Mike

(jedi wave) These are not the bodies you are looking for (/jedi wave)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    IS it ME.

Yes ! :lol:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • I had a chap with his trolley walk out in front of me yesterday, I was about 20ft away, being fixie I slowly rode up behing him & went BOO, not loudly, but about 2' away from his ear, he jumped a bloody mile.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Came close to losing it tonight. Cycled straight at a set of lights on green when a van pulled across me and then the car behind decided to do the same, I anchored on but he stopped. I continued on with him shouting at me through his window. I saw red and swung round to chase him - his face was a picture and he floored it.