Contador cleared of cheating

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
For one I'm happy.

I always said that if Contador was exposed as a drugs cheat I would stop watching bike-racing. Why? What's the point, you couldn't ever watch or get behind a athlete without the constant doubt that your admiration in their feats wasn't under false pretence.

I felt this way with Ricco when he won the stage in the Tour. His climb was amazing and the next day I was so hyped, couldn't wait to ride my bike up Balham hill ala Cobra. Day later I found he was a drugs cheat and so my enthusiasm drained.

But no! Contador is back and I for one, who likes him and think he is uber, am happy!

Discuss
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    You live in cuckoo land if you think he's clean.#

WADA will appeal and he'll get 2 years I hope.

Anyway 190 odd pages in the Road, Pro Race section on this.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For one I'm happy.

I always said that if Contador was exposed as a drugs cheat I would stop watching bike-racing.

He has been exposed as a drugs cheat - you think his technicality based exoneration means he's clean?

Contaminated meat - arf
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I don't know enough about the whole case to comment on specifics, but from a laymans point of view and reading between the lines of how it's being reported in the press, it seems to be the cyclists equivilent of getting off on a technicality. Not proven rather than not guilty?

I think pro-cycling is viewed by the majority of people as being riddled with drug cheats and until a HUGE effort is made to clean it up by imposing longer/lifetime bans for cheats then not much is going to change that.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If it had been anyone other than Contador, the ban would most likely have stood.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Top trolling.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For one I'm happy.

I always said that if Contador was exposed as a drugs cheat I would stop watching bike-racing. Why? What's the point, you couldn't ever watch or get behind a athlete without the constant doubt that your admiration in their feats wasn't under false pretence.

I felt this way with Ricco when he won the stage in the Tour. His climb was amazing and the next day I was so hyped, couldn't wait to ride my bike up Balham hill ala Cobra. Day later I found he was a drugs cheat and so my enthusiasm drained.

But no! Contador is back and I for one, who likes him and think he is uber, am happy!

Discuss

Two things:

1. the guy's as guilty as sin, has been exposed as a drugs cheat but has got off due to being Spanish.

2. Balham Hill?! I know your tongue is firmly in cheek there, but seriously, Balham Hill?!! :lol:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    French Fighter - You've got an ally!!!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Attica wrote:

:lol:

I do lump DD and FF in the same basket!
  • In a similar story (both about sports)

seen the technicality they are trying to get that cricketer off with... he was found over the limit but because he was in the ashes winning team, they are trying to get him off a technicality due to the blood taking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... iving.html

fuck me, he got off as well...

One rule us and one for them
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • attica
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Attica wrote:

:lol:

I do lump DD and FF in the same basket!

Refereee!!!

That's a bit unfair.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Seems strange that he has been cleared. I thought that if you had banned stuff in your body you got banned, regardless of how it got there. End of. Lots of people have been banned for picking up things from nasal spray/cough medicine etc.
  • DonDaddyD
    Contador is innocent and thus my faith in the sport has been restored.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • attica
    Contador has been let off and thus my faith in the anti-doping measures in the sport has been shaken to it's core
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • DonDaddyD
    Attica, there are some butchers in Tooting (South London) that sell Chicken Legs and wings (individual pieces) the size of a new born baby. I'm sure after eating that a drug test would show many multiple steroids and growth hormone substances in the blood stream.

I completely understand where Contador is coming from.

But seriously, it was becoming ridiculous and if he is found guilty I don't think I could ever watch the Tour de France or any race and truly believe in the sport. Same with Athletics, given the sheer number of drugs cheats if Usain Bolt was ever proven to be a cheat I'd lose interest.

So I kinda want to believe Contador isn't a cheat. Also if he isn't it will set up years of Schelck and him in battling it out in the hills.
    Food Chain number = 4

• attica
    I agree, I'd love him not to be a cheat, in fact I'm not sure he was.

However the rules are there for a reason.
    That he had the substance in his bloodstream is beyond doubt.
    This means that (however the substance came to be there) Contador had an unfair advantage over his competitors (or if you're being really cynical, he was the only one who got caught).
    Therefore, the very least I would expect to see would be him being stripped of his TdF win.

I know you're going to come back at me with something about micro doses, but the rules are there for a reason and that reason has just been ignored IMHO
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Top trolling.

No it's Trolling-Lite

It would only be trolling if he posted it in Pro Race.

Contador cheated. He got away with it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He's not cleared.

He's not being banned.

Difference.
  • was not cleared

conveniently for the Spanish they could not prove it enough and have opted out.

as for Contador being clean. pah. The pope defecates in a stupid hat.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/ offers some food for thought regarding it.

I'm of the opinion he's a cheat, and has got away with it. I admit to being biased, as I don't like Contador.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If this was an English (or British) farmer supplying clenbuterol to his herd, those Eurocrats in Brussels would be all over us. Shame that the cow in question is no longer with us to defend itself and voluntarily submit to doping control.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The way he's been let off is a f*cking disgrace He's a cheat, should be banned and stripped of his TDF title. Yet again the doping control bodies fail to lay down a marker. I'm starting to think that cycling will never be clean.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Attica wrote:
    I agree, I'd love him not to be a cheat, in fact I'm not sure he was.

However the rules are there for a reason.
    That he had the substance in his bloodstream is beyond doubt.
    This means that (however the substance came to be there) Contador had an unfair advantage over his competitors (or if you're being really cynical, he was the only one who got caught).
    Therefore, the very least I would expect to see would be him being stripped of his TdF win.

I know you're going to come back at me with something about micro doses, but the rules are there for a reason and that reason has just been ignored IMHO

+1. Just because the levels found were really low doesn't mean they weren't much much higher during his training etc...
    I don't see WADA etc accepting the Spanish verdict. He's not off the hook yet, quite right too.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    For those that haven't read the Landis/Kimmage interview, here's an insight into the world of Pro Tour doping - http://nyvelocity.com/content/interview ... diskimmage
    FCN 2 to 8
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Mr Plum wrote:
    For those that haven't read the Landis/Kimmage interview, here's an insight into the world of Pro Tour doping - http://nyvelocity.com/content/interview ... diskimmage

If you have a few hours spare!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    BigMat wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Or you could look in the Pro Race forum.

But that would take days and this thread has more or else summed it up.

As you were
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    BigMat wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

ha, yeah it's a LONG(!) read but a fascinating insight.
    FCN 2 to 8