Not the what hybrid question again...

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
OK, it is.

A mate of mine needs a hybrid, or at very least something that gives him an upright riding position, as he's got an eye condition that means he needs to look up to get a normal line of sight. So obviously, he'd need a flip top head if he were riding a proper road bike.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to steer him away from a hub-geared leviathan as he lives in Sydenham and will need to go over hills to get to work.

The current one he's looking at is the Globe 2, which he really likes the look of and weighs in at 14kg. But is there anything lighter/more nimble/without stupid twist-grip shifters out there he should be looking at?

Ta.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Giant FCR?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Or even the Sirrus in Sketchley's sig? (the lower specced version?)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I only have to look up when I'm on the drops - you sure a road bike with relaxed geomoetry would not suit. . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • ketsbaia
    That Whyte looks OK, but he needs something for half the price of it. Should have mentioned that, shouldn't I?
  • sketchley
    edited February 2011
    Sketchley wrote:
    Or even the Sirrus in Sketchley's sig? (the lower specced version?)

I wouldn't buy another though. Mainly due to the crap build quality of the stock wheels, which I since found out several people who brought this exact model had. Spokes pulling through the rim as the spokes were, probabally, too tight. I am quite happy with it now it got Shimano RS20 wheel set on it......

Tempted to buy the Whyte myself but will probally buy a road bike in the summer instead. There are lower spec version of the whyte as well and they do seem to get good reviews.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    ketsbaia wrote:
    That Whyte looks OK, but he needs something for half the price of it. Should have mentioned that, shouldn't I?

Not half the price but close

http://www.whytebikes.com/2011/bike_pag ... W-1-020-11
    --
    Chris

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    Not sure what his budget is but click on the link to my commuter in my sig: there are cheaper versions. I live near Sydenham and it gets me over the two 'bumps' between there and Central London just fine.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carrera Gryphon or Boardman hybrid? add a riser stem and he should be comfy.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Spokes pulling through the rim as the spokes were, probabally, too tight.

[Amateur wheel builder mode: on]

This was almost definitely not the problem, robot built wheels rarely reach what would be deemed a minimum spoke tension for a good wheel, let alone exceed it. In all probability it was just that the rim was rubbish.

[Amateur wheel builder mode: off]
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:
    Spokes pulling through the rim as the spokes were, probabally, too tight.

[Amateur wheel builder mode: on]

This was almost definitely not the problem, robot built wheels rarely reach what would be deemed a minimum spoke tension for a good wheel, let alone exceed it. In all probability it was just that the rim was rubbish.

[Amateur wheel builder mode: off]

Fiar enough. I thought that too originally, until I met a bloke who I thought knew what he was talking about who said the thing about robot wheels and too tight spokes. Either way original wheels on £800 RRP bike were crap and the spoke pulled through the rim inside 18 months, for the cost of the bike Specialized should of done better and it's put me off buying thier bikes again.

New shimano rs20 wheels are simply in a different class, so much better than the originals even when new.
    --
    Chris

• ketsbaia
    Cheers, all. Plenty of food for thought there.
  • The Boardman hybrids look pretty good value and I've not heard a bad review apart from those about Halfords service.