DM reports yet more rubbish ........

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ivers.html

Study funded by a mobile phone company?
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    In a driving simulator, 45 participants drove for 30 minutes while talking on the phone.
    Fairly conclusive then
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    "Motorists who talk on the phone or switch radio stations 'could be safer' drivers
    By DAILY MAIL REPORTER"

The author has so little pride in what he's written he won't even put his name to it.

This just gives the theory that the Daily Mail is trolling the internet to get ad revenue even more credence.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What's a 'motons'?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What's a 'motons'?

I can only assume it's a term dreamt up by certain cyclists to reinforce the 'them and us' mentality.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    What's a 'motons'?

dilemna's embarrassing combination of moron and motorist. :?

I personally find it a ridiculous word to use, but hey: if it keeps him happy.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Personally, I was never convinced that 'performing a secondary task', i.e. using a phone, made drivers more likely to be involved in or cause an accident.

People unwrap & eat sandwiches, peel bananas, fiddle with radio/cd/sat-nav, open bottles of drink, and so on, and so on... all of which (to my mind) require more concentration than talking... but I could be wrong

I have my own theory:

People who crash when they're on the phone are probably the same dimwits who were going to have a crash anyway.

Maybe it's flawed, but it's a theory...

Note to the OP: your thread title over-ran by 50%, it would have been more correct simply to say "DM reports yet more rubbish"

Althogh 'reports' is a massive exaggeration when it comes to the DM.
    Google, cut & paste, then pad out is probably more accurate.
  • I like the term 'cyclunts' for rude bicycle users. :oops:
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • DonDaddyD
    Personally, I was never convinced that 'performing a secondary task', i.e. using a phone, made drivers more likely to be involved in or cause an accident.

This thread now has some mileage to it.....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • shm_uk wrote:

Perhaps a read through these reports will convince you. The evidence is fairly overwhelming that almost anything apart from concentrating on the road will have a deletorious affect on your driving. Contrary to what some people like to think, humans cannot multi-task complex activities very well.
  • dilemna
    edited February 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What's a 'motons'?

dilemna's embarrassing combination of moron and motorist. :?

I personally find it a ridiculous word to use, but hey: if it keeps him happy.

Glad to be able to please even you :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • Same paper , same day, a teen killed after driving whilst texting has her mangled car displayed at her school as a warning to her classmates.

No link, for the reasons above, The Daily Hate prints a load of old bum gravy, outraged people click on the story and the site becomes the most popular British newspaper website. No, really.
  • dilemna
    shm_uk wrote:

People unwrap & eat sandwiches, peel bananas, fiddle with radio/cd/sat-nav, open bottles of drink, and so on, and so on... all of which (to my mind) require more concentration than talking... but I could be wrong

I have my own theory:

People who crash when they're on the phone are probably the same dimwits who were going to have a crash anyway.

Maybe it's flawed, but it's a theory...

Note to the OP: your thread title over-ran by 50%, it would have been more correct simply to say "DM reports yet more rubbish"

Althogh 'reports' is a massive exaggeration when it comes to the DM.
    Google, cut & paste, then pad out is probably more accurate.

It has been done.
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    I did a study into this once. I drove home chatting on my mobile and had 0 crashes. I think my study holds a similar weight to this one :roll:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'd do the same on my bike so I can be a safer cyclist but when I do I can't change gear or brake and end up drifting into the middle of the road.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I ate alphabet spaghetti and 24 hours later wrote a better article than this.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    I ate alphabet spaghetti and 24 hours later wrote a better article than this.

By wrote do you not mean cut and pasted?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I ate alphabet spaghetti and 24 hours later wrote a better article than this.

You are very naughty.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Does using the phone whilst driving cause or cure cancer?
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    Well I didn't get cancer last time i did it so I guess thats proved.

I'll inform the DM at once
  • DonDaddyD
    When driving I find I'm more distracted when listening to some in the car or on loud speaker* than compared to listening to the radio. I suppose it's because I'm concentrating on what is being said with the view of participating, I'm also required to acknowledge that I'm listening when in conversation.

When listening to the radio, I can't explain it but it is a different type of concentration coupled with the fact that I don't have to actively respond. In fact I concentrate on the radio less - it becomes ambient noise that I'm aware of as oppose to the thing I'm primarily listening/concentrating on.

A little like I can watch TV and play my PC at the same time. But I can't play my PC and talk to another person at the same time.

*I simply don't use my mobile when driving, the notion that it doesn't distract or reduce you ability to drive is a stupid one. I find it incredibly hard to drive the car, turn, change gears one handed while holding a phone and having a conversation. For the same reason I don't - try not to - operate the Sat Nav while driving and should I need to operate the radio it usually involves me pressing a preset buttons, which are large and easy to find without looking.

Yes I may hold the steering wheel with one hand but my left hand is always free to carry out its duties and isn't occupied with holding a mobile. More to the point, I'm right handed so holding my phone in my right hand and driving with my left... I couldn't comprehend how that would work. In fact, it would be best not to try. Safer for all. :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• I ate alphabet spaghetti and 24 hours later wrote a better article than this.

Maybe 'cut and pasta'd'... :oops: