OT : Making a criminal injury claim.

deffler
deffler Posts: 829
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi Folks,

Basically 3 weeks ago I was a victim of an assault in a pizza shop on a night out. The attack was unprovoked & there is cctv footage. The police have been involved from the incident & I am co-operating fully with their enquires.The police have the cctv, however as the person was not caught at the time they believe he will be very hard to find.

My injuries are a (possible) fractured rib (hospital does not xray rib fractures) & a fractured jaw (confirmed by xray). ive had an operation on my jaw to fix a metal plate inside. I also now have a very small facial scar from a stitch.

Someone suggested to me to make a criminal injuries claim & im wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I believe my 2 options are.....1) make a claim myself through the goverment cica scheme. 2) approach a solicitor to make a claim on my behalf to the cica.

My thinking is why instruct a solicitor to make a claim to the cica when i can claim diirectly, seems a big fuss involving a solicitor or would a solicitor be able to get me more compensation etc. Any help/advice or personal experiences would be appreciated folks.
Thanks
Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS

Comments

• I have, it was a good few years ago when, on the way back from the pub, a mate and I were set upon by a group of 8 blokes. I suffered a broken rib. The CICA is often used by the police to soften the blow to victims that they aren't going to do anything, especially if you were on a night out.

Fill in the forms and wait about a year and you'll get some money. No solicitor was required.
  • I was assaulted in May 2008, I was pushed to the floor where I banged my head rendering me unconcious, where I was then subjest to kick & stamps to the face/head .

This left me with a smashed cheek bone (nothing left to repair so they made me a new one) blowout fracture to the orbital floor of the right eye (again, nothing left so I have a metal one), various skull/facial fractures totalling 11 in all & a severed infra orbital nerve.

I made a sucessfull claim on the CICA, who made a payment on the basis that the effect of the injuries was temporary. Since then my consultant has said that the double visioon & numbness to the entire righ side of my face & upper jaw is permanent, the CICA have said they will reopen the case & make an additional payment based on these facts.

They are slow, but they do eventually come good.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • deffler
    I have, it was a good few years ago when, on the way back from the pub, a mate and I were set upon by a group of 8 blokes. I suffered a broken rib. The CICA is often used by the police to soften the blow to victims that they aren't going to do anything, especially if you were on a night out.

Fill in the forms and wait about a year and you'll get some money. No solicitor was required.

Thanks for sharing your experience matey
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    I was assaulted in May 2008, I was pushed to the floor where I banged my head rendering me unconcious, where I was then subjest to kick & stamps to the face/head .

This left me with a smashed cheek bone (nothing left to repair so they made me a new one) blowout fracture to the orbital floor of the right eye (again, nothing left so I have a metal one), various skull/facial fractures totalling 11 in all & a severed infra orbital nerve.

I made a sucessfull claim on the CICA, who made a payment on the basis that the effect of the injuries was temporary. Since then my consultant has said that the double visioon & numbness to the entire righ side of my face & upper jaw is permanent, the CICA have said they will reopen the case & make an additional payment based on these facts.

wow, seems ive had it lucky compared to you, thanks for sharing this & hope things improve
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    I was assaulted in May 2008, I was pushed to the floor where I banged my head rendering me unconcious, where I was then subjest to kick & stamps to the face/head .

Sickening.

I know nothing of this scheme - is the idea to compensate you for loss of earnings etc or for the injury itself? Does the scumbag have to pay for it somehow?
  • http://www.cica.gov.uk/

Explains on the site. Taxpayer money. Government body.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    As a solicitor myself, I would advise you against instructing a solicitor unless you want to give your compensation to a solicitor.

CICA claims are easy and solicitors costs, however modest will exceed and costs you may recover ( not sure you can recover anything in costs other than medical fees)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • deffler
    spen666 wrote:
    As a solicitor myself, I would advise you against instructing a solicitor unless you want to give your compensation to a solicitor.

CICA claims are easy and solicitors costs, however modest will exceed and costs you may recover ( not sure you can recover anything in costs other than medical fees)

I spoke to 'National Accident Helpline' yesterday & they told me they could help and any compensation offered would be completely mine as they would claim costs seperate. As I have no trust in these style companies, I went through the CICA website where it states they do not pay out to solicitor fees.

I have since opened my claim myself on the CICA website which was pretty easy so now just playing the waiting game & trying to recover 100% from my injuries.

Im quite pleased you've posted mate as been a solicitor I appreciate your thoughts, thanks man :D
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS