Help! I'm losing weight

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I don't think your theory is that far out tbh.

Obviously some people just eat too much high fat high sugar junk food but there are people whose body just processes the food differently so something that would be used as energy for person a gets put on as fat for person b.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Do you have worms or maybe a cancer that you're inadvertently feeding?

Hopefully no to both!!!!!!!!!

I have a hypothesis about why some people are fat and some thin:
    Is it possible that fatties are more efficient at extracting the nutrients from their food than skinnies?
    Maybe for a 1000 calorie food intake a fatty extracts 900 calories and a skinny extracts 700. That way two people of different builds can eat the same amount of food but have different uptakes and different builds?

I know that food doesn't hang around inside me for very long, whereas my sister (who knows her way around a cake or two) only goes for a dump about twice a week? Over the course of a day we both eat about the same amount, but whereas I eat little and often, she eats two big meals and snacks a bit.

She eats the same, and exercises exactly the same as you?

If watching TV and eating crap counts as exercise, then yes!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • There's definitely a school of thought that says little-and-often is a way to lose weight. You may inadvertently be on a weight-loss regime!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Little and often means you body doesn't store much fat because it knows it's won't be too long before it gets fed again.

A few large meals a day trains your body to do the opposite.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @ EKE - I think you should introduce me to your sister so I can tell her about this lovely thread :twisted:

(who knows her way around a cake or two) <
    liked this :)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Age?

I am guessing under 30 and certainly under 35.

Once you get to that stage you may look back on this longingly :cry:

I'm 35 and getting lighter as I get older.

Damn!

Find the solution and sell it. i will buy 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Is it possible that fatties are more efficient at extracting the nutrients from their food than skinnies?
    Maybe for a 1000 calorie food intake a fatty extracts 900 calories and a skinny extracts 700. That way two people of different builds can eat the same amount of food but have different uptakes and different builds?

I know that food doesn't hang around inside me for very long, whereas my sister (who knows her way around a cake or two) only goes for a dump about twice a week? Over the course of a day we both eat about the same amount, but whereas I eat little and often, she eats two big meals and snacks a bit.

lol! Well if she eats more and exercises less, then its no wonder that she's not as lean as you are. The reason she only goes for a dump twice a week is probably because of her diet and lack of exercise.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

lol! Well if she eats more and exercises less, then its no wonder that she's not as lean as you are. The reason she only goes for a dump twice a week is probably because of her diet and lack of exercise.
    although that would count as heavy exercise.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Just went to the cafe for some lardy grub. They had run out of chips.

I blame Wiggle.

• EKE_38BPM
    Time for "Dinner, The Sequel: This Time Its Pasta!"

• Asprilla wrote:
    Little and often means you body doesn't store much fat because it knows it's won't be too long before it gets fed again.

But what does it do with it? Is the idea that your metabolism speeds up? The idea seems to fall foul of calories in-calories out
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    Asprilla wrote:

But what does it do with it? Is the idea that your metabolism speeds up? The idea seems to fall foul of calories in-calories out

Maybe I'm right about skinny people's inefficient digestion? It knows it doesn't have to be efficient as it will be fed again soon? It could be that lardys have evolved a highly efficient digestive system which extracts all of the calories out of the cakes and pizzas they eat.

The fast metabolism theory has never made much sense to me. I imagine it as being equivalent to driving a car with the choke out (remember those, showing my age now). A bit silly and a waste of fuel.

I'm hungry.

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Fatter people have a faster metabolism than skinny people as a result of being fat. Fact.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • EKE_38BPM
    antfly wrote:
    Fatter people have a faster metabolism than skinny people as a result of being fat. Fact.
    david-brent.jpg

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Maybe I'm right about skinny people's inefficient digestion? It knows it doesn't have to be efficient as it will be fed again soon? It could be that lardys have evolved a highly efficient digestive system which extracts all of the calories out of the cakes and pizzas they eat.

The fast metabolism theory has never made much sense to me. I imagine it as being equivalent to driving a car with the choke out (remember those, showing my age now). A bit silly and a waste of fuel.

I'm hungry.

Honestly chaps, unless they have a thyroid disorder or some other metabolic disease, overweight people (who aren't losing weight) are overweight because they eat too much for the amount of exercise they do.

EKE, you really aren't eating as much as you clearly think you are! In much the same way that some people I know who are overweight but still maintain that they eat like sparrows and exercise enough.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    david-brent.jpg

I think that's a complement, he is something of a role model.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I'm hungry.

Have skipped the middle pages. Anyone recommended shakes yet?
    myprotein.co.uk is the place I buy from
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I must be a similar build to you, I'm about 6'3" and my weight barely wavers from 80kg. I was up to about 92kg at 1 point but then I joined the gym, did weights, started running and cycling and the weight just fell off but it equalised out at 80kg about 5 or 6 years ago and hasn't budged since. I still do weights at the gym in an attempt to increase muscle mass, I go to the gym for an hour to 1.5 hrs 3 times per week and I follow up with a protein shake.

I've realised that 80kg is likely to be my optimum weight. Perhaps you haven't reached yours yet? However I seriously wouldn't start laying into high fat foods and beer in an attempt to get your weight up to something you perceive to be optimum when in fact it may not be. You are clearly getting fitter and your weight reflects this.

If you go to the gym or do long rides you could try to prevent muscle catabolisation (and therefore prevent weight loss) by taking recovery protein drinks mixed with glutamine and BCAA. Particularly over long endurance rides, your body starts to catabolise muscle to get at the BCAA inside.

Branches Chained Aminos Acids - leucine, isoleucine and valine - are 3 of 9 essential amino acids that the human body needs. "Essential" in that they can be manufactured by the body (I think non essential means you have to consume them). In an endurance event, no matter how much carb you consume, your body will inevitably break down muscle to consume BCAA. Some studies have shown that mixing BCAA powder into your energy drink on a long ride can enhance performance and prevent muscle breakdown.

Similarly, glutamine (L glutamine) is another essential amino acid which helps preseve lean muscle tissue and prevents it from being broken down. Glutamine is frequently used by body builders to prevent the body catabolising muscle during a work out. Glutamine is also very useful in recovery drinks and decreases recovery time and helps your body repair itself after intense exercise. It has been studied extensively over the past 10–15 years and has been shown to be useful in treatment of serious illnesses, injury, trauma, burns, and treatment-related side-effects of cancer as well as in wound healing for postoperative patients.

When I do long club runs I take a drink consisting of maltodextrin (complex carb, easier to absorb than simple glucose sugars), BCAA, protein (a little) and electrolyte salts (if it's hot). I drink a protein shake with glutamine to aid recovery at the end of the ride. Some people also mix slower burning fructose sugars into their drinks, but I tend to just take bananas or dried fruit.

Anyway, my advice would be to go with it, don't panic and load up on fat or carbs....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,402
    When I do long club runs I take a drink consisting of maltodextrin (complex carb, easier to absorb than simple glucose sugars), BCAA, protein (a little) and electrolyte salts (if it's hot). I drink a protein shake with glutamine to aid recovery at the end of the ride. Some people also mix slower burning fructose sugars into their drinks, but I tend to just take bananas or dried fruit.

Anyway, my advice would be to go with it, don't panic and load up on fat or carbs....

MMMMmmmmmm. Sounds yummy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    rjsterry wrote:

MMMMmmmmmm. Sounds yummy.

It's not too bad, tastes slightly salty (electrolytes), slightly creamy (whey protein) otherwise it's just bland. You can add fruit juice to jazz it up, I don't bother...
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    My average daily grub intake:
    Breakfast 1 (at home) - Porridge
    Breakfast 2 (at work) - Fruit and porridge
    Elevenses - Tea and biscuits
    Lunch - Usually sandwiches/bagels, but the occasional bacon and sausage bagette
    Post lunch snack - Fruit and/or biscuits
    Pre commute fuelling - Crisps and/or chocolate bar(s)
    Dinner - Something filling and healthy(ish). Very fond of lamb and mash potatoes with some veg and some sort of cake/pudding. Or pasta always works
    Supper - Cheese on toast or something similarly snacky (I don't hold with the 'don't eat cheese before you sleep' nonsense)

Lots of water to wash everything down (but not as much as OddJob) and I'm also not afraid of a beer or five.

I've never been able to eat a lot at once, but I can, no, need to eat constantly. I've been told I'm like a baby in that I need feeding every couple of hours.

Constantly eating small portions is known to keep the metabolism active. It is used as a weight loss technique. So your routine is partially self-defeating, especially if you snack on just a bit of fruit or a biscuit. My advice is to try to increase the caloric content of your meals:

- Lots of sugar in that porridge
    - Put real butter on your sandwiches
    - Try to overeat for every meal (eat a little more than comfortable)/Eat fast (it takes time for the 'I'm full' signal to be sent)
    - Don't eat small snacks: big meals or nothing. Keep a protein shake/carb drink (with little actual protein, mostly carbs) or other big meal on hand at all times.
    - Stop drinking water, this wastes room in your stomach. Instead drink tea with lots of sugar, cola, a sports drink, etc.

It might be a good idea to write down the exact quantities of the food you eat for a week and calculate the calories. It will give you a clearer idea how many calories you are really eating and will also help you to understand which meals are too low in calories.
  • EKE_38BPM
    The general concensus seems to be:
    Eat larger portions
    Eat less often
    Don't snack
    Rest more
    Drink protein shakes/sports drinks

So, I shall devise a weight loss programme for fatties (no PC molly coddling here) which involves the opposite:
    Eat smaller meals but eat four of them a day
    Eat snacks between meals (fruit and other good stuff mainly)
    Stay up late
    No high sugar drinks
    Cycle at least an hour a day (whatever the weather)

I think I shall call it the "Get Off Your Fat Behind And Get In The Saddle" diet (or GOYFBAGITS for short). The strap line will be something along the lines of "Eat what you want and more often, stay up late, wear lycra and lose weight"

On the cover of the book and DVD will be a picture of me (and Denise Lewis because I fancy her) wearing lycra and eating a large kebab (each) with our bikes leaning against the kebab shop window.

This could make my fortune!

• Headhuunter
    Aapje wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    My average daily grub intake:
    Breakfast 1 (at home) - Porridge
    Breakfast 2 (at work) - Fruit and porridge
    Elevenses - Tea and biscuits
    Lunch - Usually sandwiches/bagels, but the occasional bacon and sausage bagette
    Post lunch snack - Fruit and/or biscuits
    Pre commute fuelling - Crisps and/or chocolate bar(s)
    Dinner - Something filling and healthy(ish). Very fond of lamb and mash potatoes with some veg and some sort of cake/pudding. Or pasta always works
    Supper - Cheese on toast or something similarly snacky (I don't hold with the 'don't eat cheese before you sleep' nonsense)

Lots of water to wash everything down (but not as much as OddJob) and I'm also not afraid of a beer or five.

I've never been able to eat a lot at once, but I can, no, need to eat constantly. I've been told I'm like a baby in that I need feeding every couple of hours.

Constantly eating small portions is known to keep the metabolism active. It is used as a weight loss technique. So your routine is partially self-defeating, especially if you snack on just a bit of fruit or a biscuit. My advice is to try to increase the caloric content of your meals:

- Lots of sugar in that porridge
    - Put real butter on your sandwiches
    - Try to overeat for every meal (eat a little more than comfortable)/Eat fast (it takes time for the 'I'm full' signal to be sent)
    - Don't eat small snacks: big meals or nothing. Keep a protein shake/carb drink (with little actual protein, mostly carbs) or other big meal on hand at all times.
    - Stop drinking water, this wastes room in your stomach. Instead drink tea with lots of sugar, cola, a sports drink, etc.

It might be a good idea to write down the exact quantities of the food you eat for a week and calculate the calories. It will give you a clearer idea how many calories you are really eating and will also help you to understand which meals are too low in calories.

I really don't think some of this is good advice, you don't want to get stuck into the lard and carbs just to build weight, you want to be building lean weight (as in muscle ) or not at all. Just laying on thye fat and sugar for no apparent reason will just make you unfit.... I would stick with what you're doing, small portions and often but perhaps increase the protein and slow burn carb proportion - ie the oats, wholewheat etc. DON'T start eating loads of butter, refined sugar, sports drinks, cola, sguary tea, pork scratchings etc etc just because you "think" you are underweight... Not a good idea, a recipe for unfitness....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Aapje wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Om nom nom
    Eat worse
    No don't

+1
    solution to being underweight (or under your desired weight) is not to just eat badly.

I had my company check up last week and they clocked my body fat % as being lower than the 'normal' range. I say lower than 'normal' rather than actually being low as I'm quite content with the amount of food I put away and there's no question about me being too skinny.
    Anyway, when I told the doc that I was planning on doing more exercise (half marathon, tri training) then she just said to be certain I ate enough to cope with the extra work. Suggestion was a larger snack mid-afternoon, unsalted nuts rather than just fruit (nuts being good protein/fat), cottage cheese, lean meats etc.
    She didn't just say binge on sugar and butter :)

for reference, I'm 5'10", about 72Kgs, just under 9% fat.
    Have protein shake, cycle in (sometimes gym, if so 2nd shake), porridge+fruit for 2nd breakfast, sometimes mid-morning snack, lunch (+ sausage from butchers and chocolate on top of sarnies or chicken/pasta), snack/shake, dinner (more meat/veg).

Eat more/more often certainly, but keep eating well.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited February 2011
    Skim read the thread.

And thought "where's the soul food?"

Curry Goat and (white) Rice.
    Fry fish
    Cook down chicken
    Cow foot and peas
    Hard dough bread
    Fried chicken (two thighs if you're gangsta)
    Chitlings

It's a sliding scale. Loathe as I am to say this - and pointed out in a Boondocks episode called the Itis, youtube it - 'Soul Food' has its roots based in the days of slavery, the slave master would give the slaves the scrapes or worse; chitlings (something American's go on about) is pigs intestines, while flavoursome comes with some serious fat/protein content.

You could try that, or a Luther Burger (that's one meat pattie, bacon and cheese laid gently between a doughnut add a fried egg if you're ghetto).

Personally, while I love my culture there are some serious health questions to be raised about some of the food elements. It will, however, put meat on those bones. No? then forget every unhealthy option most people have said.

I would (and do) try to keep the healthy diet you have and (assuming I wanted to put n more mass) eat more healthy carbohydrates and healthy protein, venison, turkey breast avoid legs and thighs (even with chicken) and fish to go with my pasta, potatoes and rice (white, but should be brown).

On a seperate note: I also now eat a lot more good quality bread, cheese and meat. When eating things like susages, bacon, gammon etc I read the back to make sure the meat content is of a high percentage. I only like free range (corn feed) chicken and eggs. I wouldn't bother with designer foods like protein shakes, gels and the like.

I also eat cashew nuts and unsalted peanuts if I'm feeling peckish...

Well that's what I do, I like my food. I'm 15-16st.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Also why don't you try to pump (bang) weights.

Most people have suggested that you should put on fat, bad fat.

Muscle wieghs more fat (muscle tissue is more dense that fatty tissue). Do that gain slight weight. You're still as fit, just a little stronger.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    I really don't think some of this is good advice, you don't want to get stuck into the lard and carbs just to build weight, you want to be building lean weight (as in muscle ) or not at all. Just laying on thye fat and sugar for no apparent reason will just make you unfit.... I would stick with what you're doing, small portions and often but perhaps increase the protein and slow burn carb proportion - ie the oats, wholewheat etc. DON'T start eating loads of butter, refined sugar, sports drinks, cola, sguary tea, pork scratchings etc etc just because you "think" you are underweight... Not a good idea, a recipe for unfitness....

No. Eating fat and sugar doesn't make you unfit. Not exercising and/or eating more calories than you use makes you unfit. Eating lots of sugar gives you insulin spikes which promotes fat storage and stimulates overeating, which results in fat storage. So for someone who is too fat, my advice would be bad, but EKE_38BPM isn't too fat. He is burning more calories than he is using. Nowhere does he say that he wants more muscle weight. If he did, he should go to a gym and do lifting and other anaerobic exercises and eat lots of protein (google: Hardgainer Bodybuilding). It seems that EKE_38BPM is losing fat, which is fine up to a point, after which it is dangerous. To stop it, he needs to up his calories.

Now, I'm not suggesting that EKE_38BPM should eat junk food, I would suggest a good mix of carbs, fat and protein & a good amount of veggies and fruit. A little butter on his bread is fine in such a diet. Such a diet is probably quite a bit more healthy than the pro-cyclist diet which consists of mostly carbs and little fat. There is a lot of scientific evidence that such a diet is very unhealthy.

PS. Eating more rice and pasta is a good idea.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I regularly (at least a couple of times a week) eat rice and peas.
    Lots of plantain, dumpling. Stew peas and rice etc. All that good stuff.

What the hell are Chitlings?

Pumping iron bores me. Also I am a weakling when it comes to pushing weights in a gym, but seem much stronger in the real world.

• Headhuunter
    Aapje wrote:

No. Eating fat and sugar doesn't make you unfit. Not exercising and/or eating more calories than you use makes you unfit. Eating lots of sugar gives you insulin spikes which promotes fat storage and stimulates overeating, which results in fat storage. So for someone who is too fat, my advice would be bad, but EKE_38BPM isn't too fat. He is burning more calories than he is using. Nowhere does he say that he wants more muscle weight. If he did, he should go to a gym and do lifting and other anaerobic exercises and eat lots of protein (google: Hardgainer Bodybuilding). It seems that EKE_38BPM is losing fat, which is fine up to a point, after which it is dangerous. To stop it, he needs to up his calories.

Now, I'm not suggesting that EKE_38BPM should eat junk food, I would suggest a good mix of carbs, fat and protein & a good amount of veggies and fruit. A little butter on his bread is fine in such a diet. Such a diet is probably quite a bit more healthy than the pro-cyclist diet which consists of mostly carbs and little fat. There is a lot of scientific evidence that such a diet is very unhealthy.

PS. Eating more rice and pasta is a good idea.

What you're saying is pretty dangerous IMO. You're suggesting that EKE is losing fat to a dangerous level without having even met him! He's not bulking up for an Arctic trip!

It's NEVER a good idea to eat more sat fat (butter), sugared porridge, refined energy drinks etc etc as you suggested. At no point has he said that he wants to add more muscle weight but equally he has not said anywhere that he wants to gain a spare tyre! Eating higher levels of protein and wholewheat, slow burn carbs rather than refined sugars and sat fat (as you seem to think) will make him feel fullar for longer and keep him fit. Refined sugars cause a spike in energy levels not a constant level of energy. Fat just gets stored round the gut (mostly in men) which is dangerous. If anyone wants to increase their weight, the best way to do it is through lean muscle not fat!

Certainly eating a small amount of butter and refined sugar isn't going to kill you but it's certainly, most definitely not a good idea to advise someone you haven't even met to start piling on the pounds by essentially increasing the fat content of their body!
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I regularly (at least a couple of times a week) eat rice and peas.
    Lots of plantain, dumpling. Stew peas and rice etc. All that good stuff.

What the hell are Chitlings?

Pumping iron bores me. Also I am a weakling when it comes to pushing weights in a gym, but seem much stronger in the real world.

British Black and African American culture diverges a bit. Chitlings are pigs intestines.

I don't think you should eat more saturated fat and sugar type foods. It will harm your energy levels.

Sounds like you have a high metabolism (you must go toilet a lot - pretty soon after you eat - I think the solution is eat more but more carbs and protein. So instead of one Sea Bass have 2.
    Food Chain number = 4