Tough road races...recommendations?

fastandfurry
fastandfurry Posts: 138
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
I'm looking to plan my season and want to do some proper races with some proper hills in (of the long and 5-10% type rather than the comedy short steep type where you cant get into a rhythm preferably). Any suggestions? I'd be racing second cat and am based in London...so within a couple of hours drive of London would be ideal but would head out further for the right event.

I'm also keen to do some stage races- I have my eye on the SERRL 3 dayer...any thoughts on that race or any others that might be of interest?

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Hear the Tour de France is quite a hard race. Might want to try that.......

or try the britsh cycling website
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I'm looking to plan my season and want to do some proper races with some proper hills in (of the long and 5-10% type rather than the comedy short steep type where you cant get into a rhythm preferably). Any suggestions? I'd be racing second cat and am based in London...so within a couple of hours drive of London would be ideal but would head out further for the right event.

I'm also keen to do some stage races- I have my eye on the SERRL 3 dayer...any thoughts on that race or any others that might be of interest?

We used to have loads round these parts (Sheff/Peak) and up towards Leeds/Bradford/Huddersfield back in the late 80s early 90s but most/all have long gone. Cant help Im afraid, but I used to love those races with long climbs. Also I used to under 12 st, instead of under 13st.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Not on the calendar yet but Derby Mercury should have two races on a hard circuit - has one hill in it and then lots of undulations - and a very hard hill to finish. Might not be quite what you are looking for as it doesn't have very long continual climbs but the main hill in the circuit isn't a power climb and is maybe .5k - first race likely to be June 5th, second a longer race (6.5 laps - 80 miles) in Sept. Both regional As.

If the Elizabethan RR is still running in West Mids that is a proper hilly road race - don't think it was on last year though - worth travelling for if it is though - 2 laps of a 40 mile circuit.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    edited February 2011
    If you're 3rd or 4th Cat try the Summer Wine RR

My Garmin log from last year
    More problems but still living....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The Ras de Cymru - it's mostly short and steep hills but there's one long finishing mountain and couple of other longer climbs on the penultimate day. It's a tough race for sure.

However in general it's the riders that makes a race tough not the course, ride higher standard races and you'll see harder racing.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Yeah ive done that Derby mercury race Tom, its a killer, that climb on every lap, then that killer catergory climb at the end, cramp in both legs indeed!! :shock:
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • Book yourself a weekend away and head up north and do any of the following CDNW's:

Old Hutton
    Doveholes
    Lazonby
    The killer that is Dolphinholme

And you can go back down south and tell your matesd you got your assos kicked by the Raleigh and Motorpoint boys!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Book yourself a weekend away and head up north and do any of the following CDNW's:

Old Hutton
    Doveholes
    Lazonby
    The killer that is Dolphinholme

And you can go back down south and tell your matesd you got your assos kicked by the Raleigh and Motorpoint boys!

True that. My first race of last year was the local crit. About 5 team Raleigh and a couple of the Motorpoint boys turned up.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Tour of the Mining Valleys (West Wales), a long way but possibly combine with a weekend by the sea?

The Ras as Jim says (about 150 miles from London, accomodation included in entry fee staying at Caerleon college but requires a team of 4).

I've heard rumours that the 5 Valleys may make a return soon (think Dragon Ride and you won't be far off the course, has been on the Premier Calendar in the past).
  • Thanks for the suggestions, the Ras is on!

Will keep an eye out for the Derby Mercury road race and will think about heading north for a weekend. Not sure I'll be able to make it up to have a spanking by the Raleigh and Motorpoint boys until work's calmed down a bit from July- we'll see.

A road race across the dragon ride course would be ridiculous; I'd be well up for it!

Any more ideas welcome!
  • if you are willing to travel away from London then maybe try the former Pendle Pedal.
    I've just entered myself and am really looking forward to it. the course has been ridden on by some elite riders in last years national road race champs so it will be a good chance to see if i can compare to any of them! :)
    it's called the bowland beast this year and includes plenty of hills for you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Is that not a sportive rather than a race?
  • I did this event last year - it was great, we watched the national champs the day after - It was hard but definately worth the challenge! and the scenery is amazing... I will definately be entering this year, really want to beat my time :D
  • Pross wrote:

well yeah you're right but it's a great road ride - and fully timed so effectively you can race and compare your time with those of others.
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    Pross wrote:

well yeah you're right but it's a great road ride - and fully timed so effectively you can race and compare your time with those of others.

dress it up however you want - it's still a sportive...
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

No you can't compare your times with others in a sportive, because you don't know if they were racing or just pootling around having a laugh. A race is an activity where everyone is trying to win.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/