Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting general

Rear tire slid out mid corner...

ValyValy Posts: 1,321
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
I've got insurance with Evans and I think my LH crank/chainset will need replacing as - when you fall sideways, the pedals tend to be there! :p

and it does seem a bit bent. :/ After a quick google search, it does not look like there are any LH cranks for Tiagra. I'm also wondering if the BB should be okay?

Point being - have any of you made claims for "small" damages like a chainset, hood/brake/shifter, wheel etc?

Thanks.

Posts

  • ValyValy Posts: 1,321
    Anyone? :(
  • kelsenkelsen Posts: 2,003
    Valy wrote:
    Point being - have any of you made claims for "small" damages like a chainset, hood/brake/shifter, wheel etc?

    No, but if you've paid the premium you might as well go for it, assuming the policy covers individual components. Worst case is they'll simply reject your claim.

    I'm pretty sure you can get the L/H Tiagra crank on its own. No reason why Evans can't order one for you. If not, any crank (upgrade to 105 even) with the same length and fitting should work.
  • Have you checked to see IF you are covered, most pay out but not for the first £100 some the first £500 check the small print.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

    Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • I am left wondering what the point of your Evans insurance is. I guess with a bent crank and other minor damage, simply replacing the parts out of your own pocket might be cheaper than paying insurance premiums. And surely if some vehicle collision resulted in your bike being destroyed, then you would claim for damages against the driver of the vehicle. Perhaps you are preparing yourself for the day you get hit by an uninsured driver who bolts off afterwards?
  • ValyValy Posts: 1,321
    I am left wondering what the point of your Evans insurance is. I guess with a bent crank and other minor damage, simply replacing the parts out of your own pocket might be cheaper than paying insurance premiums. And surely if some vehicle collision resulted in your bike being destroyed, then you would claim for damages against the driver of the vehicle. Perhaps you are preparing yourself for the day you get hit by an uninsured driver who bolts off afterwards?

    Hopefully not ey? :p

    The actuall reason I took it out was because my MTB was nicked, so I thought I would rather pay £5-£6 a month than be left with a "oh" if my bike gets nicked.
    _____________________________

    Thanks for the replies everyone - I'm debating if I should get a LH crank or get a 2300 cahinset/BB. Reason is - I'm wondering if the spindle could ahve been bent as well - in which case a LH crank won't solve everything. I know that it's right next to the bearings an that it's probably fine, I'm quite iffy about things like that. :oops:
  • EKE_38BPMEKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've never heard of a BB being damaged in a crash, but I am not all knowing and can see how it would be feasible.

    My advice would be to buy the crank (or chainset, your call) and if you have problems get a new BB.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

    I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ValyValy Posts: 1,321
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've never heard of a BB being damaged in a crash, but I am not all knowing and can see how it would be feasible.

    My advice would be to buy the crank (or chainset, your call) and if you have problems get a new BB.

    I don't think the BB is damaged, it the spindle I'm more concerned about. I took the chain off at the front and the chainset spun pretty smoothly, so looks like the BB should be okay.
  • CasbarCasbar Posts: 168
    More important.....ARE YOU OK ?
    exercise.png
  • ValyValy Posts: 1,321
    Casbar wrote:
    More important.....ARE YOU OK ?

    More or less - just got a bit of road rash on my knee/hip and a few scratches on the hand - I was wearing (rather thin fleece ones) gloves too.

    Also... a new pair of trousers has a rip in them...

    Thanks for asking! :D
  • EKE_38BPMEKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Valy wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    .

    I don't think the BB is damaged, it the spindle I'm more concerned about. I took the chain off at the front and the chainset spun pretty smoothly, so looks like the BB should be okay.

    Let me rephrase:
    I've never heard of a spindle being damaged in a crash, but I am not all knowing and can see how it would be feasible.

    My advice would be to buy the crank (or chainset, your call) and if you have problems get a new spindle.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

    I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ValyValy Posts: 1,321
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    .

    I don't think the BB is damaged, it the spindle I'm more concerned about. I took the chain off at the front and the chainset spun pretty smoothly, so looks like the BB should be okay.

    Let me rephrase:
    I've never heard of a spindle being damaged in a crash, but I am not all knowing and can see how it would be feasible.

    My advice would be to buy the crank (or chainset, your call) and if you have problems get a new spindle.

    :P Was not sure what page we were on!

    I will take it to a shop ASAP and see what they say. But yeah - hopefully a LH crank should fix it. Wonder how much it will be - as they are quite surprisingly expensive.
  • EKE_38BPMEKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Unless its carbon or unobtanium it shouldn't be too bad.
    If the cranks spin OK, personally, I would buy the LH crank, some copper grease and a crank tool and do the job myself.
    Its an easy job with the right tools. Literally five minutes work.

    If its not just the spindle, buy the necessary parts and tools and do the whole BB yourself. Now I know how easy it is I regret paying my LBS to fit my BB. By comparison, indexing gears is much harder and, with the right tools and tuition, even that ain't too bad.

    Basically, I'm saying do it yourself, engage smug mode and then post what you did on the fettling thread.

    If you need tuition on how to do just about anything on a bike Sheldon Brown and Park Tools are your friends. If you need more help/advice, come back here. Someone will have had that problem before and will know the solution.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

    I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • deswellerdesweller Posts: 5,175
    Cranks are pretty strong, would be surprised if you've bent it. You must have given it one hell of a whack. What makes you think it's damaged?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ValyValy Posts: 1,321
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Unless its carbon or unobtanium it shouldn't be too bad.
    If the cranks spin OK, personally, I would buy the LH crank, some copper grease and a crank tool and do the job myself.
    Its an easy job with the right tools. Literally five minutes work.

    If its not just the spindle, buy the necessary parts and tools and do the whole BB yourself. Now I know how easy it is I regret paying my LBS to fit my BB. By comparison, indexing gears is much harder and, with the right tools and tuition, even that ain't too bad.

    Basically, I'm saying do it yourself, engage smug mode and then post what you did on the fettling thread.

    If you need tuition on how to do just about anything on a bike Sheldon Brown and Park Tools are your friends. If you need more help/advice, come back here. Someone will have had that problem before and will know the solution.

    Oh I only meant for them to have a look at it. Today I found out that a LH crank would a) take a good week to get delivered and b) would cost about £50-£60! Considering that I got the whole chainset for about £46 I though I would say no! :p

    I ended up getting a Shimano 2300 chainset from Evans today and a new BB - about £45 with pricematch. Now all I need is to get a HT II crank removal tool and I can hopefully install the chainset without adding much extra.
    DesWeller wrote:
    Cranks are pretty strong, would be surprised if you've bent it. You must have given it one hell of a whack. What makes you think it's damaged?

    I had a similar thing happen on my MTB a while back - the rear wheel caught a lip and started sliding (I was riding on a path with paving stones/curb- and in a straight line! :P) and I think I was at the end of a stroke and the crank got bent - SR Suntour Octalink it was. The frame got bent as well I think.

    In this case I was going around a corner and the rear slid out - not sure where the pedal was, but it might have been at the beginning of the stroke, so it was not bad. I was not going overly fast either, maybe slightly fast as I was feeling like I needed to take a wider line, but could not really do that too much as I was not sure which lane was oncoming.

    I weight about 85KG and I had a bag on my rack which was about 3-5 KG add about 30km/h to that and you start getting ideas of the energy involved.

    This time (finger crossed) the frame seems alright. The crank itself is only slightly bent - you don't feel it much when riding.

    Wonder if I will get much for the RH crank/BB.... :P
  • dilemnadilemna Posts: 2,187
    I would improve your bike handling/riding skills sharpish as they are causing you unnecessary expense. If this has happened before why have you allowed it to happen again? Once can be forgiven, but twice - careless!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • ValyValy Posts: 1,321
    lol would like to see you recover from a mid corner slide
Sign In or Register to comment.