Worthy upgrades?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I'd love a Focus Cayo Ultegra 2.0 but can't justify a bike that's for the odd event only in terms of cost and space.

My Allez is my workhorse, commuter, tourer and racer, its nearly racked up 10k miles in a year and a half. Its nearly Sportive season and hopefully a chance for my first triathlon, so what would people advise as upgrades that can deal with all of the above?

My first thought is a Carbon seat post but what next? Its rocking Planet-X C wheels but would I feel the real world difference of a 'race weekend' wheel set?

What else can I carbonise that's going to take every day abuse? Nothing exotic in price, otherwise its not worth it..

FSA SL-K seat post:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-sl-k-carbon-seat-post/

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'd say wheels and contact points, and I'd think twice about the contact points. If you are looking to do a triathlon the the obligitory tri bars, obviously.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I'd say 10k miles/year justifies a "best" bike by itself....

But, yeah, posher wheels and a seatpost would be a good bet. Reducing rotating mass is always a winner. Other than that, I really do think you'd be looking at two bikes: you might not want to commute with your expensive groupset in winter!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Wheels make a difference, I have Pro-lite Braccianos on the BeOne and they made a real difference - though the wheels they upgraded were the stock ones, which were leaden. These feel smooth and light, and the acceleration difference was astounding.

Carbon seat post is a good upgrade, mainly for the way that they feel. I also would look at the bottom bracket, mine was clogged up something chronic after about half those miles - something I never really noticed until I rode the Orbea, which gave me much smoother, easier spinning. Replaced it with a Token sealed bearing one, only a 20 quid upgrade, but a world of difference.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited February 2011
    For me I wouldn't spend a great deal of money upgrading an Allez frameset.

I'd go all in on a new bike if your serious which 10k with races and sportives you must be.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    For me I would spend a great deal of money upgrading an Allez framaset.

I'd go all in on a new bike if your serious which 10k with races and sportives you must be.

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    Appreciate the thoughts! I can certainly see why ploughing money into an Allez frame would be a waste.

Problem is a carbon roadie won't replace my Allez, I'll still have two roadies and not enough room to keep them. Id also have to skip buying a folder, which will make life much easier than a new road bike.

10k in a 18 months sounds serious but I very very rarely do any training, its been 70% commute, 20% tour and 10% training miles.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Wheels innit

BTW I have that seatpost, it's wicked cool but not really any better that any of my other cheaper alu or carbon posts, gutted that the campag record posts were out of stock at the time as I had to match the post with headset etc etc etc

expensive tart addiction for a bike thats travelled 125 miles
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Wheels make a difference, I have Pro-lite Braccianos on the BeOne and they made a real difference

+1, best money I ever spent
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • iPete
    Those wheels look tasty, bookmarked for purchase later in the year!

I should note I've just had a ceramic BB fitted, so thats nice and smooth, I guess the only other thing beside wheels/seatpost is probably a better crank?

I'd look at handlebars but carbon is not a cheap option and they don't look commuter 'i have a million lights and speedo' friendly!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    iPete wrote:

I should note I've just had a ceramic BB fitted, so thats nice and smooth, I guess the only other thing beside wheels/seatpost is probably a better crank?

I'd look at handlebars but carbon is not a cheap option and they don't look commuter 'i have a million lights and speedo' friendly!

If you can, upgrade the frame, transfer the compoents etc from the Allez to the new frame and then look at new wheels. You can get a Ribble Gran Fondo for £1k, or a Planet X for a similar price.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    These guys are fairly reasonable for carbon items & get good reviews in the mtb section

http://www.carboncycles.cc/ :D or search for seller "bikefridge" on flea'bay
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • iPete
    cjcp wrote:
    iPete wrote:

If you can, upgrade the frame, transfer the compoents etc from the Allez to the new frame and then look at new wheels. You can get a Ribble Gran Fondo for £1k, or a Planet X for a similar price.

..but can I honestly slap a pannier rack on a carbon frame and abuse it for 12 months of the year?
  • How about a CAAD? Aluminium and lightweight. Can you buy the frames on their own?
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • iPete
    Bumpage!!

Had a look for CAAD frames no luck. I'm thinking of just throwing on some better wheels, I don't NEED a new bike & my Allez is about to clock 10,000 miles & its still doing a great job. It'll also save me wonga, £300 vs £1300!

Can anything top Pro-lite Braccianos? Best price is £290 at the moment. I'd like to go aero, Planet X R50 or something but don't want tubular!
    unixnerd wrote:
    Wheels make a difference, I have Pro-lite Braccianos on the BeOne and they made a real difference

+1, best money I ever spent
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Don't forget quality tyres... they make the biggest ride difference.

I'd suggest handbuilts.... get the best hubs you can afford, some CXP33's and some quality tyres - Pro Race 3's, Ultremos, or GP 4000....