Calling the poilice

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I was reading an accident thread and got to wondering. You are advised to call the police if you are in an accident but in many cases it isn't an emergency worthy of phoning 999.

So do people keep the phone number for their local police station in their phone just in case. And what if you're on a longer ride and in a different police area.

Comments

• Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Just put the appropriate one of these in your phone, though I never bother at the time:

http://website.lineone.net/~familykeens/policeno.htm
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    For all the London-ites, the Met have a centralised non-emergency number - 0300 123 1212
  • Or check the new police website for contact details and crime stats discussed here
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • " Advised " is the key word here.

In the event of personal injury then you are strongly advised to have an official record.
    In the event of damage to property there is no need to call the police if, insurance details are exchanged & you believe the other party involved is playing the game.
    In the event of the accident causes danger to other road users eg debris spread across the road then call the police so appropriate traffic measures can be put in place.

Call your local nick & you can be transferred to the appropriate force/area command in anyway.No need really to fill your contacts list with probably redundant phone numbers hope that helps :D
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Somewhat seems to be complete abuse of the system, but in future, I'd be halfway tempted to make sure I call an ambulance, no matter what.

Given experience, seems to be the only way to have stuff taken seriously.

(I was hit and run mid-last year, reported it to the police by limping, using bike as support, to the nearest police station, and absolutely nothing happened out of it).
  • Aidy wrote:
    Somewhat seems to be complete abuse of the system, but in future, I'd be halfway tempted to make sure I call an ambulance, no matter what.

Given experience, seems to be the only way to have stuff taken seriously.

(I was hit and run mid-last year, reported it to the police by limping, using bike as support, to the nearest police station, and absolutely nothing happened out of it).

Did you actively pursue it?

Even a frontline civi helper at the desk of your local nick should take a record of your complaint.
    In the event of non supply of insurance details ( an offence itself ) production of a FWIN ( Force Wide Incident Number ) should see the local police follow up to make sure you are provided with the insured details. ( Assuming the vehicle index number is correct of course.)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Or check the new police website for contact details and crime stats discussed here
    It says that sites England and Wales only.

I may take a note of one of those central numbers posted. I just always wondered what number to call, not just if on a bike but when driving as well.
  • suzyb wrote:
    It says that sites England and Wales only.

Good point, well argued.

Actually it is just the crime mapping that is England and Wales only. The contact details cover the whole of the UK
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem