How much punishment will my '10 Fury take?

mic_Cambs
mic_Cambs Posts: 6
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Hi All

Well after me moaning for ages about the rubbish Shogan something or other I've been hacking about on for years my darling wife went out and bought me a brand new Carrera Fury ('10 model i think... it's white) last week from Halfords.

Wouldn't usually be my choice of shops but beggers/choosers and all that!

Anyway, a quick question for you lovely clever people.

I'm just wondering how much punishment this Fury will take? Over the years I've treated the Shogan to some pretty bad tracks/drops etc and it's survived if a little battered and repaired in places.
Now I have a nice bike I don't want to go ruining it by doing something silly so I'm hoping some others on here will be able to give me a good idea of what they are using their Fury's for and how they've faired in the toughness dept?

All advice appreciated.

Cheers, Mic

Comments

• Fury is a good all mountain/long travel hardtail. Great great frame, will handle all UK trails superbly!

Wheels and forks are top end budget parts, so will take a good bit of abuse.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends what scale you use to measure punishment.
    On the Yeehaa Scale, it would rank a solid 3Yees.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    it's pretty tough especially the wheels , they are the same as a Cannondale rush10 . Forks are best you can get at that price. all frames are pretty equal at the moment.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    I have the same bike and have done the reds, and blacks at Llandegla,Lee Quarry and Gisburn Forest.
    When i first started i was anything but a smooth rider and the bike has been brilliant.Have a play with different settings on the rebound,it does make a huge difference to the forks performance.
    Your wife made a good choice.
  • Anonymous
    Llandegla only doles out about 0.7352Y of punishment though.
  • I've got one, its pretty tough, it stands up to lots of abuse. On the first ride though, I knocked the rear wheels out of true (I'm only 50kg) and now there is a crack in it where the rim is joined together. Other than the wheels (which will be changed when funds allow) I love it.
  • oh, and it's 09 as the Carreras are updated every 2 years (I think), the same as the Boardmans
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've said this before but I'd happilly take one, take the big ring off, fit fat tyres and a big front rotor and take it down the world cup dh route at fort william or for an uplift day at innerleithen... Really good bikes
    I've got one, its pretty tough, it stands up to lots of abuse. On the first ride though, I knocked the rear wheels out of true (I'm only 50kg) and now there is a crack in it where the rim is joined together.

Ironically the Mavics are pretty much the most respected part on the bike...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I ride like a twunt on mine and the only permanent damage I've done so far is bend the rear mech cage and scuff the paint.
  • Depends what scale you use to measure punishment.
    On the Yeehaa Scale, it would rank a solid 3Yees.

Nice solid Yee rating there, but no Haa's? :lol:

Cheers for all the feedback guys, looks like the wife done good.
    I'll have a play with the rebound setting as suggested and try to find some good routes to put it through it's paces.

Chedabob - Thanks for teaching me a new word. I'll see if I can get twunt into conversion at work today.
  • How long is a piece of string

It will NOT take this, the suspension alone on any of the bikes at WR costs more than your bike, my Saracen has been modded and still wouldnt do this.

http://vimeo.com/4195104

My bike is £1.5k and I would not do this (Secretary WR), but it will do XC and general rough and tumble, all I can say is that you will probably hurt before your bike.

Regards
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How long is a piece of string

It will NOT take this, the suspension alone on any of the bikes at WR costs more than your bike, my Saracen has been modded and still wouldnt do this.

My bike is £1.5k and I would not do this (Secretary WR), but it will do XC and general rough and tumble, all I can say is that you will probably hurt before your bike.

Regards

There was nothing in there that you couldn't do on a xc bike or even a rigid, just not as quickly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

• >| |<
    This much abuse (not to scale)
  • cooldad wrote:

There was nothing in there that you couldn't do on a xc bike or even a rigid, just not as quickly.

+ potatoe

Don't see anything unridable there at all...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Wouldn't fancy the ladder drop on a bike i didn't totally trust tbh and there looked like a bit of a gap further in as well... The Fury'd be fine for either as long as you land clean and smooth, but, sometimes that doesn't happen :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad wrote:

Regards

I have to concur - we were doing stuff like that 20 years ago on rigid and hardtail bikes - almost as fast and with the added bonus of being able to ride back to the top instead of having to push a massively over-engineered farm-gate uphill like Sisyphus...lol
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, it is pretty damned tame. And yeah, it is very reminiscent of what I used to do o my old Kuahara rigid, then the trusty old Saracen :?
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    My Carrera Vulcan easily manages Lee Quarry and Whinlatter Blacks, including many a crash on rocks, so your bike should be fine mate :)
  • Cheers guys

Looks like I'll be the weak point when it comes to who'll break first off any drops I'm likely to take. But good to know so many think it'll be fine.

Now I guess I'd better get my riding standard up a bit to match my shiny new steed. :wink:
  • The Fury will be more than fine. It's a great bike. I have an 08, and admittedly I was skeptical before buying, but I've absolutely no regrets since. Crashed it a good few times, and it's still like new.