Spot the inconsistencies - Olympic Schedule

jzed
jzed Posts: 2,926
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Was just reading the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 397378.stm

and got two lines in before thinking WTF
The schedule of events for the London 2012 Olympic Games has been released.

The first action will be women's football in Cardiff, Glasgow and Coventry on 25 July, two days before the official opening of the Games.

Spot the inconsistencies

1) London Olympics starting two days before it starts; and

2) London Olympics staging football in Cardiff, Glasgow and Coventry; whilst I understand some events venture out of London - come on there are hundreds of football pitches in London

Think the London 2012 committee have spent too much time flying Easyjet and Ryanair.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    JZed wrote:

The schedule of events for the London 2012 Olympic Games has been released.

The first action will be women's football in Cardiff, Glasgow and Coventry on 25 July, two days before the official opening of the Games.

Spot the inconsistencies

1) London Olympics starting two days before it starts; and

2) London Olympics staging football in Cardiff, Glasgow and Coventry; whilst I understand some events venture out of London - come on there are hundreds of football pitches in London

Think the London 2012 committee have spent too much time flying Easyjet and Ryanair.

Slight inconsistency in your theory. It does not start 2 days before it starts. It is 2 days before the official opening ceremony. As to the football in Cardiff, Glasgow and Coventry, why not, other area's of the country will be paying for it.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's the same at every Olympics. Some events simply can't be completed within one city or the official length of the games.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Perhaps the fact Great Britain arn't competing in the football may be the reason to outsource the football from London... Disguising it as a less London-centric games.. :lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    JZed wrote:

+1 To justify the cost to the rest of the Country. Before anyone starts, no we won't benefit. Any added income from the event will be swallowed up by the cost.

+1 to the fact that it is nuts though. Didn't expect anything more :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Anyone else think they should get Andy Gray and thingy Keys to commentate on the womens 'football' matches? :twisted:
  • IIRC, one of the football matches is to be a Hampden Park. The football is all over the place.

There was an event before the opening ceremony in Vancouver - ski jumping, I think. Seemed odd to me, but it's more usual than you'd think.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Just had a look at the prices.

Wowser.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's the same at every Olympics. Some events simply can't be completed within one city or the official length of the games.

No, it's to throw a few scrapes out to the regions. London has plenty of football grounds and Scotland certainly wouldn't be on the list if logistics was a genuine reason.

Its the same as all the guff about legacy. Adds more costs to keep the facade going, but the fees paid to non-jobs make it worthwhile to them. Even the London boroughs that threw in local tax payers money (on top of the surcharge each home pays) have found they've not got the deal they thought.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    heh anyone willing to bet none of the Commonwealth games will be outsourced :twisted:
  • daviesee
    suzyb wrote:
    heh anyone willing to bet none of the Commonwealth games will be outsourced :twisted:

No. But i am willing to bet that it will be a shambles :twisted:
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    suzyb wrote:

The commonwealth games are not being funded in the same way though.

A few football matches does very little to compensate for the loss of lottery money to the whole of Scotland.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    davmaggs wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

No, it's to throw a few scrapes out to the regions. London has plenty of football grounds and Scotland certainly wouldn't be on the list if logistics was a genuine reason.

Its the same as all the guff about legacy. Adds more costs to keep the facade going, but the fees paid to non-jobs make it worthwhile to them. Even the London boroughs that threw in local tax payers money (on top of the surcharge each home pays) have found they've not got the deal they thought.

Oh, look: exactly the same set up for the Beijing games in 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_a ... ics#Venues

And, suprise, the same for Athens in 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_a ... r_Olympics

And 2000 in Sydney:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_a ... r_Olympics
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Greg66 wrote:
    Just had a look at the prices.

Wowser.

Initially I thought they were in line with what I was expecting; 40 quid for the cycling. Not bad, considering the event.
    Then I saw the length of the sessions; some are just 90 minutes long!

I went to the one of the world track events in Manchester last year, and I'm sure I paid 45 quid for the three full days.

I'm going to have to think seriously about which tickets to apply for...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rml380z wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Wowser.

Initially I thought they were in line with what I was expecting; 40 quid for the cycling. Not bad, considering the event.

I went to the one of the world track events in Manchester last year, and I'm sure I paid 45 quid for the three full days.

It's pretty much a once in a lifetime experience when it's the olympics.

Track events at Manchester aren't.
  • rml380z wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Wowser.

It's pretty much a once in a lifetime experience when it's the olympics.

Track events at Manchester aren't.

Yes. Sort of. I know someone who went to The LA games and someone who wen to the Sydney games to spectate. And we went to the Vancouver games. But I take your point that that is probably exceptional.

Cat A tickets for most things look to be c £90. At the Vancouver 2010 Games, I was able to get tickets for 8 events for £450pp. I will put in for some London tickets, but I think I'll be choosing quite carefully. It gets a bit steep when the 66 family of 4 is being bankrolled.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • As to the football in Cardiff, Glasgow and Coventry, why not, other area's of the country will be paying for it.
    + 1 million

And exactly how much "legacy" benefit will the rest of the country get after contributing to the 16 billion required to fund it?

The square root of bugg*r all, I would venture....... :x

....and don't get me started on ticket pricing......
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/oth ... -1.1085388
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Does anyone else think its a bit of pot and kettle for the "regions" to complain about London being subsidised? :twisted:
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • daviesee
    Bikequin wrote:
    Does anyone else think its a bit of pot and kettle for the "regions" to complain about London being subsidised? :twisted:

You could. But it is not London that is being subsidised, just a vanity parade for the few.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Bikequin wrote:

You could. But it is not London that is being subsidised, just a vanity parade for the few.
    Indeedy. I very much doubt Londoners will get much out of it either.

BTW we're not a "region" we're a "country" - and don't even think about mentioning the Barnet formula or I shall be forced to paint my face blue, wear a kilt and gallop down to to Sassenachville crying "You may take our land, cobber, but you will never take our freedom" in an appalling Australian/Scottish accent.......... :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    daviesee wrote:
    Bikequin wrote:

Indeedy. I very much doubt Londoners will get much out of it either.

C'mon people its The Olympics! How about not being cynical for a change :P
  • JZed wrote:

Spot the inconsistencies

Swimming 34 Gold medals (44 inc diving & synchronised swimming)
    Cycling 18 Gold medals (that's including road, track, mountain & bmx)

Swimming 2 entrants per country per event
    Cycling 1 entrant per country per event

As we know cycling events keep being removed/merged to provide 'variety' to the programme. Perhaps cycling should introduce 'left leg only' cycling or hand powered bikes to be able to compete with the variety offered by swimmers doing the same distance but with less efficient strokes.
  • ... with the variety offered by swimmers doing the same distance but with less efficient strokes.

The swimming programme in full...
    50 metre freestyle
    100 metre backstroke
    100 metre breaststroke
    100 metre butterfly
    100 metre freestyle
    200 metre backstroke
    200 metre breaststroke
    200 metre butterfly
    200 metre freestyle
    200 metre individual medley
    400 metre freestyle