Help with size issue!

CrazySmudge
CrazySmudge Posts: 137
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
okay found the bike I like - Fuji team pro - tried it today and I am very happy with it! Hooray! But I am 5,11 with inside leg of 32 and seem to be between sizes, 56 or 58 and according to the chart I could ride either. Is it better to go for a larger or a smaller frame? I am new to road biking as I am come from mountain biking so I am not sure what to do - help if you can?!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go for a smaller frame - you can always have a longer stem or more seatpost showing.

If your frame is too big - you're stuffed really.
  • I'm about the same size, and I got a 56 frame. Of course, test riding the bike would be the best way to find out, as a 56 in one mfg might fit about the same as a 58 of a different mfg.
  • cougie wrote:
    I'd go for a smaller frame - you can always have a longer stem or more seatpost showing.

+1
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    I had a similar situation with my Tarmac Comp fitting... fell between the 54 and 56, however because I have a long thigh (relative to leg length) I couldn't get my knee over the pedal on the 54 - it was about 2" in front, even with the saddle all the way back on a setback post.

As a result I am picking up the 56 on Friday.

What I am getting at is that you really need to have the bike professionally fitted if in ANY doubt. It's probably a good idea anyway TBH, and should be free if buying a new bike anyway.
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I'm 5' 11" with an inside leg of 32 as well. I've ridden a trek 58 for years (which is a small 58, I think, smaller than my 57 Bianchi for instance).

However I've just had a bike fit and I was told that my top tube should be no more than 56 and they actually made a 55.5 for me with a 120 stem; this definitely puts a lot less strain and pull on my lower back.

I would go smaller for sure although it is a very personal thing as everyone's proportions are different and some are much more flexible than others. I think the more flexible you are the smaller you can go, I have become a lot more flexible over the course of the last 15 years and three bikes (which have each got smaller).

The pros seem to ride smaller frames; Ballan is 6' 3" and rides a 55! Hincapie, the same height and is on a 57.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,907
    I'm 6' and I spoke to Evans when I was buying the CAAD9, as I too seemed to fall inbetween 56" and 58" - the advice was to go for the smaller frame. I'm very glad I did, as it feels perfect on length, and gives the option to have a more racy set-up, as I can get a bigger difference between saddle and handlebar height that I would have been able to on the 58" frame.
  • thanks for the all the advice guys,

The problem is this my first serious road bike and I don't know how to tell if a road bike is to small or to big for me as the riding postion is so different from a mountain bike. I feel a bit squished as my knees come up to my elbows when I am riding it - is this right? Are there clues that I can use to tell if it is the right size?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Are there clues that I can use to tell if it is the right size?

Yes - listen to the advice you are getting and get a professional fit!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    thanks for the all the advice guys,

The problem is this my first serious road bike and I don't know how to tell if a road bike is to small or to big for me as the riding postion is so different from a mountain bike. I feel a bit squished as my knees come up to my elbows when I am riding it - is this right? Are there clues that I can use to tell if it is the right size?

Yes. Get a professional bike fit. This should take some time, and they will measure arms, legs, feet, torso, etc. If this is not offered, go elsewhere (you could get measured elsewhere and then get the frame closest to the recommendation).
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I feel a bit squished as my knees come up to my elbows when I am riding it

This means little, I can do this with any of my bikes - just a saddle height adjustment away.

I have a pretty good idea of where I should be and I still got a pro fitting before getting a new bike, to sort out some minor issues and it was worth every penny....
  • is there anybody you would recommend? I live in Hemel Hempstead
  • I have a Fuiji Team Pro - I'm 6'3 and ride a 58 frame - inside leg is 34" it's right on the edge of being ok for me. Hope this helps you choose the 56 (won't matter if you get a professional fit).

Great frame btw.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    cougie wrote:

Having bought a smaller frame 4 months ago I second this, and I'm a whisker under 6ft and ride a 56 now. I also own a 58 with a shorter stem but the 56 is a much better fit. Pretty much perfect in fact, and I'm much more efficient on the 56.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I bought my first road bike (a Boardman in a medium) when in hindsight I was actually between sizes. Coming from a mountain bike thought the stretched out feeling was all part of the deal - the Halfords service was really non-existant as they wouldn't even put pedals on to let me properly try the fit!!!

I've spent 18th months trying to trim the fit to suit and have now ended up buying a Roubaix which has a shorter top tube and now all is well. Morale of the story therefore is get fitted if you can... :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • 56 should be right.

Take note though that there's an inherent difficulty with fitting someone to a road bike who is new to the sport. Position changes over time, so you'll most probably have to change the position of the bars and saddle as you go along.

But 56cm would be normal for your height.