Should I join a club?

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Now this post suggests that I am getting fairly serious about my cycling and I guess that is true to some extent, however what I am really looking for is some male or female companions to enjoy a good ride with in my local area. Unfortunatly I have come to that time in my life where people go their seperate ways due to jobs and girlfreinds and I am left with no freinds that ride or even have an interest in bikes. Im getting a bit bored of doing long (40 mile plus) rides on my own.

What I am hopng to gain by joining a club is the chance to do a bit of fast-ish riding in company; what im hoping to avoid is walking into a room full of lance armstrong lookalikes who dont want to know if its not about racing.

So, should I join the local club (colchester) ?

W

Comments

• fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    Yes - a club will have a lot of people at your level believe it or not. It is by far the best way to learn and get more out of the bike.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think the rules of the forum state that if you do join a cycling club, your membership of the 'Commuting' section will be revoked and you will only be allowed onto the 'Road' section.
    I know this seems harsh, but I don't make the rules.

Seriously, I wish I joined a club many years ago, but I made a couple of new friends recently who ride like I like to ride so my need of a club has vanished.
    Why not join up with a club, see if you like it/them and if you don't then leave. I've heard of some people in clubs being really arsey (can't wear a GB kit unless you are or have represented GB, can't wear a TdF yellow jersey unless you are a Cat 1 etc).

Find a club, meet up with them, see what you think of them. If you get on with them (socially and when riding) join up. If you don't, ride away.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Undoubtedly yes.
    Probably the best thing you can do to improve your riding.
    Sure there are a few nobs out there and a few snobby clubs but ask around, try some out and make a decision.
    Where are you based?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    fearby wrote:
    Yes - a club will have a lot of people at your level believe it or not. It is by far the best way to learn and get more out of the bike.

+1.

My club caters for all types of riders, so there's something for everyone.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think the rules of the forum state that if you do join a cycling club, your membership of the 'Commuting' section will be revoked and you will only be allowed onto the 'Road' section.
    I know this seems harsh, but I don't make the rules.

Seriously, I wish I joined a club many years ago, but I made a couple of new friends recently who ride like I like to ride so my need of a club has vanished.
    Why not join up with a club, see if you like it/them and if you don't then leave. I've heard of some people in clubs being really arsey (can't wear a GB kit unless you are or have represented GB, can't wear a TdF yellow jersey unless you are a Cat 1 etc).

Find a club, meet up with them, see what you think of them. If you get on with them (socially and when riding) join up. If you don't, ride away.

Errr ........ there is a little more to joining a club than riding and having a nice time although this is obviously important. You will find you get a lot more out of club membership if you take a more active role in the club eg marshalling, helping with events such as road races or being a committee member. Some people put in a lot of effort so others can turn up on the weekend have a nice ride and then go home and then take part in the club's organised events. Like everything you tend to get out what you put in.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • welkman wrote:
    what I am really looking for is some male or female companions to enjoy a good ride with

FNARR FNARR :shock:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Thanks for the replies, Im based in Essex, near colchester.