26 x 1 1/4" - 26 x 1 3/8" interchangability?

stevechambers34
stevechambers34 Posts: 458
edited February 2011 in Road general
Hi all I haven't posted for a while been too busy living, riding and unfortunately or fortunatelu depends how you look at it working!

Anyway I digress I have an old EG Bates tourer fitted with 26 x 1 1/4" wheels that have seen better days could I fit 26 x 1 3/8", its equipped with Mafac Drivers given that there only about 7mm difference ish I can't forsee a problem but has anybody done it also the Mafacs dont appear to have much if any adjustment?
being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification

Comments

• tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    No you cannot.

26 by 1 1/4 are a different diameter rim than 26 by 1 3/8. 597 versus 590. The tyres will not fit. I think you are confused because MTB is 559 and takes a number of tyre widths. The figure for the old 26 is not necessarily the width but the depth of the tyre.

Mafac Drivers would have adequate adjustment by tilting the blocks. This is how we used to fit sprints into frames for 27 by 1 1/4. 622 versus 630.

It was not really clear from your post whether you were asking about interchangability of tyres or whether you could change the wheels. From above, changing tyres is a no but changing wheels should be OK.