Sky to employ dopers

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,462
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Brailsford finally recognises that his zero policy doping stance when it comes to staff is unworkable;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/fe ... sky-doping

He also admits to interviewing Neil Stephens. I hear Manolo Saiz is looking for work still...

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I guess I can retire my tinfoil hat now....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • very very disappointing.
  • iainf72
    Will Fotheringham has just suggested in a tweet that there is more in the article that will raise an eyebrow or two.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Disappointing in some ways, but at least Brailsford seems to be taking a more realistic approach to things after last year's disappointments.

Nevertheless, at a time when last years tour winner being banned and an Italian cyclist performing a blood transfusion are both (relatively) prominent items of sports news, it's not really what cycling needs!

Overall, probably shouldn't have had such a hard-line policy in the first place, and probably shouldn't have announced it's removal at this time!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Will they give Scott Sunderland his job back now?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • "realistic", "pragmatic" = all sound like code for doping.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    And slightly less sensationalist than the thread title

"We'll probably stick to our policies at the moment. I don't see us signing somebody who has come back after a doping ban. But maybe somebody who is a 45-year-old sports director, who has held his hand up and said this is what I did in the past, and has since worked for clean teams for a long period of time and has vast experience that would benefit the team … that's a decision which is a bit more difficult to decide."

Exactly how does this differ from the Vaughters, for example, runs his team?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    DaveyL wrote:

"We'll probably stick to our policies at the moment. I don't see us signing somebody who has come back after a doping ban. But maybe somebody who is a 45-year-old sports director, who has held his hand up and said this is what I did in the past, and has since worked for clean teams for a long period of time and has vast experience that would benefit the team … that's a decision which is a bit more difficult to decide."

Exactly how does this differ from the Vaughters, for example, runs his team?

Well Vaughters was happy to hire Millar, Brailsford says he wouldn't do so
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    I was being deliberately provocative.

It isn't at all different from how Vaughters runs his team (although, sadly, Vaughters himself has yet to come clean). If Brailsford was sensible he'd have adopted a similar approach last year, rather than saying that the team would never employ anyone with a doping conviction, then hiring a number of staff with questionable backgrounds.

Interestingly, Daniel Benson's latest tweet reads "Sorry, but since when has Sky had a 'zero tolerance' policy?"
  • Michael Barry has previous if Landis is to be believed...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    DaveyL wrote:

So he's happy to sign someone who got away with doping, but not someone who was caught. Why make that distinction?
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Nevertheless, at a time when last years tour winner being banned and an Italian cyclist performing a blood transfusion are both (relatively) prominent items of sports news, it's not really what cycling needs!

It's also another shot fired in the battle against News Corp.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Isn't this just a repetition of what Dave B was saying at the end of last year? Doesn't seem to be anything new here.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Garry H wrote:
    So he's happy to sign someone who got away with doping, but not someone who was caught. Why make that distinction?

'cos those that got away are obviously better at doping... why would you hire the failures?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • hire the lucky ones, its better on sooooo many levels
    Ave

Oh sorry i dont do that now
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    edited February 2011
    There are two ex-dopers on the setup already as I understand it.

How long before Ferrari is their special adviser :evil:
  • Is Brailsford taking the piss?

Yates, Sutton, Sunderland, all known chargers.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It's a bit of a non-story isn't it - personally I'd rather they employed staff with a doping conviction whose subsequent actions suggested they were now actively anti doping than staff without a conviction but lots of suspicion who now do nothing much to suggest they are actively against doping.

That goes for riders as well as DS and back room staff.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Is Brailsford taking the wee-wee?

suderland hasn't any scandal or tests against him.
  • iainf72
    Full article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/fe ... d-team-sky

Hate to say I told you so....
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I don't see anything startling in that article. As another poster said, they seemed less fussy about the history of their DS's from the start.

Of all the teams in pro cycling Sky still have fewer "suspect" riders than just about anyone else bay maybe Columbia?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Re: Barry, "...people like his persona...".
    Well that's alright then - seems unfair to castigate an eloquent cheat.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    I really can't see anything in that article worth you lot getting all hot and bothered about.

But then I forget, this is Team Sky - who are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Which, frankly, is getting pretty boring.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Re: Barry, "...people like his persona...".
    Well that's alright then - seems unfair to castigate an eloquent cheat.

:D Quite possibly the best post of the year!

As for sky 'employing dopers' it really is a big non stroy isn't it? Nothing said that wasn't already in the public domain.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Unfortunately it is a sad indictment on our sport when a team boss suggests it is almost impossible to find staff that are completely without the taint of doping in their past. The most important thing is that the riders are riding clean though and there's nothing to suggest they aren't. Hopefully in 20 years time all teams will be run by clean ex-riders but I won't hold my breath.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    You also have to remember that these teams are employers and the riders are employees. You cannot critiscise or fire an employee just because you hear a rumour from a person who is at best, a very questionable source. I also can't imagine that any investigation by Sky would get very far, it's too long ago and too much of it is hearsay.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Someone's reading a lot of the internet today!

It's link after link.
  • iainf72
    It's link after link.

Not found any of them myself, it's all been via the twitter.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Is Brailsford taking the wee-wee?

suderland hasn't any scandal or tests against him.

Maybe not, but there's plenty of people who raced against him. You don't have to talk to many people in cycling to find out info like that.

My point still stands for Yates and Sutton though.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015