Cleaning Camelbak Bag?

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited February 2011 in MTB general
I've been out today on the bike and my Camelbak is filthy now.

What's the best way to clean the sack? Can I just chuck it in the washing machine?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I take mine in the shower
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Hose down the bag while you re doing the bike...?

If you re not using it for a while I'm sure washing machine will be fine if you use a delicate setting and such...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I've chucked mine in the washer and it's come out fine.

I use a low 30 gentle wash with a splash of soap. Then hand it up to dry.

It wont come out spotless but will come out a lot cleaner.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    I chuck mine in the washing machine all the time and it comes out spotless. I wash the bladder with Milton baby-bleach and then hang with a wire coat-hanger in the hot press to dry.
  • turn it inside out and chuck in washer.... job done for outside. inside milton sterilisation tablets.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I've started using denture cleaning tablets. They work really well and are cheaper than milton.
  • I've got a camelback cleaning kit. The small brush is really good at cleaning the tube. And no, i don't work for camelback :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    just let it dry and brush the dust off tomorrow.

done.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Yeh, I shove mine in with my riding gear at 40 Degrees and it comes out as good as new.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    mudsucker wrote:
    I've got a camelback cleaning kit. The small brush is really good at cleaning the tube. And no, i don't work for camelback :D

I think he means the actual Rucksack not the bladder...(??)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Let the mud dry and brush off
  • ddraver wrote:
    mudsucker wrote:
    I've got a camelback cleaning kit. The small brush is really good at cleaning the tube. And no, i don't work for camelback :D

I think he means the actual Rucksack not the bladder...(??)

yes sorry just read it again. I just put my in the washing machine with the rest of my gear.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Cheers guys.

Washing machine it is then :D
  • plodtv
    plodtv Posts: 40
    i wash my old (circa 2002) mule in the washing machine on delicate, fairly regularly, comes up like new, not sure if its loosing some magic quality from some techy fabric, but seems to work fine.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Washing machine is fine but most times I just let it dry and then if it's shedding dirt, brush it off. If it's not getting everything else manky i just leave it as it is.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Never clean it unless you plan to murder someone out on a ride - in which case you'll be better off burning everything you had with you including the bike...
    That dirt is your proof that you've been places - just let it dry and brush the worst of it off...
    I have Camelbaks with Iraq and Afghanistan still ingrained in the weave of the material - no way am I washing that out...
  • use miltons, never had issues and one of the best, (babies use it for bottles why not for camelbaks)

good stuff and gets ridd of all that "black stuff" in the tubes ect

also a kabab stick is a great tool to clean out the mouth peice of that black stuff
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • use miltons, never had issues and one of the best, (babies use it for bottles why not for camelbaks)...

I think you'll find it's the parents that use Milton's...If my 8-week old daughter started uncrewing bottles of 'bleach-substitute' I'd be a tad concerned...

Rinse the bladder and tube with hot water after every ride (and don't be lazy and just dump it on the floor, thinking 'it'll keep til tomorrow' - it'll still be there full of bio-culture the next time you go for a ride...lol) and you can go months without a full sterilisation cycle.
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    i just jet wash it with a low psi washer, as i do with all my kit to get out the crap "as it can't half block the washer fillters", then clothes go in wash, bag and shoes goes on the line/rads to dry.
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003