copying DVD's using 2 drives

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
got 2 X DVD recorders in my machine and cant for the life of me find out how I can copy a dvd from 1 to the other ??? Any ideas ?

(XP)

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    got 2 X DVD recorders in my machine and cant for the life of me find out how I can copy a dvd from 1 to the other ??? Any ideas ?

(XP)

Copy DVD1 to desktop then copy/burn contents to DVD2?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • DVD as in a film .....
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    It depends on the software you are using and whether it is copyrighted.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Weejie54 wrote:

You can copy it for your own private use, can't you? Not that I have ever done this as I don't have 2 DVD drives or have ever felt the need.

How about Nero 7 Ulltra, would this do it?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Weejie54
    edited February 2011
    You can copy it for your own private use, can't you? Not that I have ever done this as I don't have 2 DVD drives or have ever felt the need.

How about Nero 7 Ulltra, would this do it?

Nero won't copy it if it is a copyrighted DVD. You need a "ripping" add-on or plug-in (like DVD43).
    Nero (recode) would require a temporary folder on the hard drive.
    There are several ripping programmes available.
  • Most blank DVD discs are 4.7GB while most films are bigger than this. I use a bit of software called DVD Shrink. It will analyse the film and shrink it down to less than 4.7GB. I think it compresses it into an ISO file then you can select to burn this file to a blank disc.
  • Weejie54
    Most blank DVD discs are 4.7GB while most films are bigger than this. I use a bit of software called DVD Shrink. It will analyse the film and shrink it down to less than 4.7GB. I think it compresses it into an ISO file then you can select to burn this file to a blank disc.

Nero recode can resize too.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dilemna wrote:
    Weejie54 wrote:

You can copy it for your own private use, can't you?

strictly speaking.....no. Even in the days when everyone used to tape vinyl for use in the car or at home etc...it was always officially against the copyright agreement.

The media companies basically had to eat the fact that it was happening because:

a: it was a slow process, not many people could afford to buy bulk copying equipment
    b: it relied on a closed group distribution model....tapes were passed about between mates
    c. impossible to trace.

nowadays, though, the media companies are more strict on it as everyone owns the equipment necessary to make lots of copies and distribute it to literally millions of people.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Try DVD shrink to rip the copy protected dvd and then I use Nero to burn it to the new disc.With DVD shrink you can pick which part of the movie you want, this way you can keep the quality without all the extras.
    Not done this for years now though, not since torrents are ripe on the web
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    DVD Decrypter is simple and can create ISOs from encrypted sources. I use AGK to compress video; there are possibly simpler packages about (like DVD shrink above).

If you do compress the video and want to burn it back as a DVD (slightly pointlessly IMO) you'll need a DVD authoring tool. Nero might well have one but there's probably some freeware around.

Any good reason to burn it to DVD? I tend to rip and shrink DVDs and leave them on the computer (there's one connected to the TV).
  • I always use DVD Fab Platinum for DVD copying. Will shrink from double to single layer with a single process and also rip movies to AVI or MP4 (iPod compatible) files. Easy to use too.
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana